1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpbb vs. smf

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by SGBoise, Mar 7, 2009.

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if phpbb is faster then smf? I have a client that has a forum that uses smf and it keeps crashing because of the number of people using it.

I'm thinking of switching to phpbb but I don't want to make it worse if it's slower.

SGBoise, Mar 7, 2009 IP
  2. misstycoon

misstycoon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hope you dont mind but I need the same question answered , I need to know which runs smoother , I have always used SMF and never had any crashing problems , but once this particular site is setup I dont want to take any risks and dont want to have to change brands .

So which is better ?
    SMF?
    PHPBB?
    IPB?
    any others ?

cheers

misstycoon, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  3. Mr Goldberg

Mr Goldberg Banned

Best Answers:
    PHPBB is highly famous and all the big sites and communities use them..
    SMF is not good for Big communities. And to code a custom SMF template also,its a bit costly..

So just go for PHPBB,as you can get instant support from their forums ,also PHPBB has a lot of hacks and mods now.
    You will love it...

Mr Goldberg, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  4. IAMJos3

IAMJos3 Guest

Best Answers:
    As of being free, PHPBB is the best forum software to use. If you have the money and wanting to upgrade to something more powerful I would use vBulletin or IPB. I personally like IPB more the vBulletin but vBulletin has more feature then IPB.

http://groups.drupal.org/node/3252 - I found this online when I tried to compare but it's simply other people inputs. Hope this helps:)

IAMJos3, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  5. nikolasgr

nikolasgr Peon

Best Answers:
    for sure, the PHPBB performs good on large sites but the installation of addons is not as simple as it is at SMF.

however i will agree with IAMJos3 and recommend you to look for IPB and VBULLETIN too! the price of VBULLETIN is 160dollars and 60dollars/year for updates which is not too much, if your friend has an income from the high traffic.

nikolasgr, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  6. mrdo

mrdo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PHPBB looks professional forum, but it's too hard to cusomize it. SWF is simple, instant for user

mrdo, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  7. blackangel

blackangel Active Member

Best Answers:
    a lot more easier is mybb , easy to install , easy to configure , full of plugins

blackangel, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  8. myp

myp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would take myBB over both, but in terms of being efficient for large communities I think phpBB would be the best of the three just since it has been proven to be able to handle large crowds. If you have the money though, vBull is definitely the way to go in terms of virtually everything- speed, reliability, support, customization, etc.

myp, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  9. Hoodala

Hoodala Peon

Best Answers:
    Just take a look at the site you're on to answer that question. vbulletin is the best without question and the cost is nominal.

Hoodala, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  10. mariusrec

mariusrec Peon

Best Answers:
    from the two i would choose phpbb ... i have used both in the past but now i would only recommend phpBB ...

mariusrec, Mar 9, 2009 IP
  11. buldozerceto

buldozerceto Active Member

Best Answers:
    from the two smf, but also try mybb

buldozerceto, Mar 9, 2009 IP
  12. spaghett1

spaghett1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I already used SMF twice and for the Third time if I make again a forum it will be phpBB.. I also hangout as a forumer on a big website here in the Philippines that runs on phpBB and I see that admin have no issue on using this.. DP and his forum looks very similar, to keep the forum speed they need to keep the forum very simple and not to allow images on signature that slows down the forum

spaghett1, Mar 9, 2009 IP
  13. MuscleandBrawn

MuscleandBrawn Member

Best Answers:
    I run SMF, but it can be a pain. A lot of the mods don't work, or need too much tweaking to get them to work.

The forum's performance hasn't been an issue at all.

Honestly, if I had to start my forum again, I would have spent the cash and went with vBulletin.

MuscleandBrawn, Mar 12, 2009 IP
  14. froggy

froggy Member

Best Answers:
    Does SMF give search engine friendly urls (without question marks and ampersands?). I'm using phpbb now but thinking of going over to SMF if it gives nice urls.

froggy, Mar 12, 2009 IP