1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Planned to start a social networking site for models

Discussion in 'General Business' started by krashok2010, May 15, 2011.

Social networking is ruling the internet... There is social network for every are like linkedin for bussiness, dogster for animals, etc.,, i have planned to open a social networking site for Models... Is it worth to invest time and money in Model social networking site??

Please give some advice...

krashok2010, May 15, 2011 IP
  2. neham_rules

neham_rules Peon

Best Answers:
    if i were you i would NOT share that information anywhere till i launch and establish the idea/website mate..People will steal your idea and become millionaires like Facebook owner Zuckerberg did!

neham_rules, May 15, 2011 IP
  3. LoveMyContent.Com

LoveMyContent.Com Peon

Best Answers:
    I think your going to get a whole lot of problems come your way if you do this for models. Plenty of raging horny old men coming to bat off at the womens pictures, rapists trying to find new prey etc etc lol all im saying is i'd stay away.

LoveMyContent.Com, May 15, 2011 IP
  4. nguoituyet

nguoituyet Peon

Best Answers:
    Great idea! You can build something like IMDB for models and their shows. Don't worry about stealing ideas at all. No one is going to believe in your idea as you do.

nguoituyet, May 15, 2011 IP
  5. timmyterror2

timmyterror2 Peon

Best Answers:
    an idea is just an idea, its all about the execution, good luck with it

timmyterror2, May 15, 2011 IP
  6. ahuddy

ahuddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for it! You have nothing to lose by trying to make your ideas come to life. Even if it doesn't work out at first you will still learn from it and use that knowledge in the future.

ahuddy, May 16, 2011 IP
  7. stach14

stach14 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a plan then by all means go for it. What do you have to lose but wondering what could have been.

stach14, May 16, 2011 IP
  8. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a passion for modeling and have some connections to get the site up and running I say go for it. Finding people that are legitimate models with experience will be an issue. If you are a model or happen to know some or have a great idea on how to spread the word in the modeling community then of course go for it. However, you should know that a few such sites already exist...

http://www.model-network.co.uk/
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/

I'm sure there are more, especially for photographers/clients looking for models. Those are just the 2 that I can think of right now.

eruct, May 16, 2011 IP
  9. IdeaFool

IdeaFool Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you have a good idea here. I used to run a small, local modeling and talent agency and learned quite a bit. This was back in '99, so obviously the internet has evolved tons since that time.

I think what you're going to find is that control is going to be the hardest part for you. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, you're going to get a bunch of folks who are there just to try to hook up with, or otherwise harass the models. If I were doing this, I would set up specific categories from which each member must choose one. For example, model, photographer, fan, agent/manager, publisher, etc. Then, only those who truly were, say, photographers would more than likely put up a portfolio where the liars would have more trouble doing so. I think you'll find your members will weed out a lot of trolls. You may want to include a disclaimer that must be accepted that exempts you from liability if someone uses your site to harass a model or other member. I would also try to be very quick to respond to complaints from members. Models want to be protected regardless of how independent they may be. They are going to have a certain amount of trust in you even though they themselves have chosen to be a part of your site. It would benefit you to go above and beyond when it comes to protecting them.

Regarding marketing, the modeling forums are going to probably be the best way to go. Folks will join if it's free, and if you keep it fresh. I would offer some sort of contest monthly, maybe some game apps that are synergistic to the industry (if you can have one developed), phone apps that tie into the site so that models can get notifications of interest in them instantly, etc. There is no end to what you can do if you have the funding. Additionally, to build interest, I would try to recruit some smaller agencies and maybe publishers of local magazines to become members early so that the models have hope of getting paying gigs. Maybe offer some free advertising space to them on a weekly rotation so that they will become more interested. (When I was an agent, I got a number of paying gigs or TFP gigs from small local publications. It was a great way to get tear sheets for models.)

Anyway, I hope my humble opinions help.

Thanks!

IdeaFool, May 17, 2011 IP
  10. nibblymonster

nibblymonster Guest

Best Answers:
    There actually might be a demand for such a site. Modelling work can be hard to come by, so networking could help the models in their search for gigs. Photographers would probably appreciate it as well; I know some amateur photographers have a hard time looking for models to build up their portfolios, and resort to posting on craigslist and other classifieds to appeal for willing models. There seems to be no proper site for matching up photographers with models.

On the other hand, I have to agree with the other posters that the exclusive nature of your site could be problematic. Verifying the identities of the members could prove to be difficult.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
    nibblymonster, May 22, 2011 IP
  11. SanderVh2

SanderVh2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    First of all: Don't share too much sensitive information, because people will use that and steal everything you worked hard for.
    Second: Social networking can be as successful as you make it. If you create a nice website, which looks good for the right
    audience and works good it could be a succes. However succes depends on the people who need to use the website.
    I'm sure there have been enough facebook/twitter copycats, but the couldn't really hit it off!

SanderVh2, May 22, 2011 IP
  12. Living_Dead

Living_Dead Banned

Best Answers:
    It's a great idea, but posting it wasn't wise! That aside, I believe it has very good potential as models can contact each other and share valuable contacts in the industry. You might have the problem of horny men trying to get on there but I'm sure there's a validation process you could use.
    Once set up there's plenty of places you can promote - classified ads, camgirl sites, and also contact modelling agencies.

The only reason this idea will potentially fail is that you're going to dwell on it for days and eventually lose interest. GET MAKING IT!!!

Living_Dead, May 23, 2011 IP
  13. IdeaFool

IdeaFool Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is the best advice you can get at this point! :)

IdeaFool, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  14. J4mmy

J4mmy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I believe it has very good potential as models can contact each other and share valuable contacts in the industry. You might have the problem of horny men trying to get on there but I'm sure there's a validation process you could use.
    Once set up there's plenty of places you can promote - classified ads, camgirl sites, and also contact modelling agencies.

The only reason this idea will potentially fail is that you're going to dwell on it for days and eventually lose interest. GET MAKING IT!!!

J4mmy, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  15. Zeeshan Akhtar

Zeeshan Akhtar Peon

Best Answers:
    I am completely agree with neham_rules. You should share this info after getting a goal. Well, I really like your idea and I wish you best of luck.

Zeeshan Akhtar, Jun 6, 2011 IP