1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Planning to starting an online business, but the budget?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by bogartkick, Mar 27, 2010.

Hello everyone!

I am so interested to start my own online business, either of the following:

* Web directory/Twitter directory
    * Social bookmark
    * Web hosting (might be expensive)
    * Microblog (like Twitter)
    * Social network (like Facebook)
    * Image/video sharing site
    * Flash games site/movie site

What can be the estimated capital of either on these online business above? I know it really needs web hosting and buying clone scripts and hiring a programmer for database configurations, but I don't know how much is it?

Can you share to me guys on your estimated capital when starting any of these businesses I mentioned?

Thank you. :)

bogartkick, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  2. Aotearoa

Aotearoa Member

Best Answers:
    There's open source scripts for most of these fields, so you can get started without a lot of expense, of course that means the fields are pretty crowded, so you'll have to work hard to stand above the pack.

• Register a domain name $10-$50 depending on tld / cctld.
    • Get some cheap, but not bottom of the barrel, hosting. First month $10 ($30 for web hosting business)
    • Software install / set-up $0-$150 depending on complexity of script & how much you can do yourself.
    • Site custom theme (template) $100 - $150 - insist on good on-page SEO practices being followed.
    • Link building / other white-hat off-site SEO $100 - $1000 -- You may be able to do this yourself. The more crowded the field the more you'll need to spend.
    • Paid early "members" for social sites or finding content for directory / downloads. depends on field but $100 to $500 seems reasonable

Sufficient working capital to support the first 6 months of operation: hosting $10-$30/Month, backups $5-$10/month, support of install (e.g. security updates of script breaking theme) $5-10/month, Adword or other PPC ads ???

BTW: I personally wouldn't go into any of these fields unless I had an angle that differentiated me clearly from the market leader(s). For example there is only room for one Twitter, but strongly business niche related microblogging services might work if you can clearly express your point of differentiation to both yourself and your potential customers.

Aotearoa, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  3. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, there are simply too many factors.

Each one of those has different needs and costs associated. That is just at first glance. If you get into the researching of each while mapping out your business plan. You will start to see what I am talking about in that regard.

Best advice is spend the time to do the research and start writing down all the pieces, costs, and needs. Then from there map out how you would promote, what R.O.I. you can expect, how long you can afford to run in the read and set some realistic goals.

Barefootsies, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  4. Resellerwebhosting

Resellerwebhosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    ya i do agree with you.

i think it will be better if you look for some other niche business than these as they are very competitive.

Resellerwebhosting, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  5. bogartkick

bogartkick Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't mind the competition, because these ones that I listed are those I have passion than those niche business that I'm not passionate with. A business guy may fail if he has no passion about the niche business he have. I don't like to start with some "medical" or "baby" products to purchase as capital and to sell it online, I only start with the one I'm passionate about.

bogartkick, Apr 2, 2010 IP