1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please advise on the best open source or commercial CMS for community site.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by deansp2001, Aug 20, 2007.

Hi, we going to be making a community driven site and have been looking at various CMS for a while.

I would like some advice on what is the best to go for, as at the moment my head is spinning!

The following features are the most important to the site.

+ Customisable user registration page
    + User customisable profile page
    + Unlimited image uploads for the user with the option for the user to choose which catagory the image belongs in.
    + Forum intergration with latest posts shown on user profile page.
    + Abilty for user to register in one of a number of groups.
    + Abilty to add, invite friends, sends PMs, maybe livechat, aka Facebook, Myspace.
    + Lists of most recent and most popular members on profile page.
    + Shoutbox/Comments page on profile page.

I have tried the following in varying degrees but always seem to come unstuck at some point, either due to lack of functinailty, lack of programming knowledge on my part or problems with the actuall install/software.

Joomla
    VBulletin
    Xoops
    Drupal
    PHPFox
    E-Friends
    Dolphin

and a few others I cant remember the name of!

Any advice on what I should look at next or if any of the above I should stick with and try to improve my PHP skills....Thank you.

deansp2001, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  2. Jaques

Jaques Guest

Best Answers:
    Everything is possible only through joomla alone, though i would not suggest it.
    If you have the money to buy vbulletin license and the bridge(bbpixel.com) i would suggest it, vbulletin offers so much and more

Jaques, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    joomla can do all the thinks that you mention.

i also suggest you to visit official joomla extension site

trichnosis, Aug 23, 2007 IP
  4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

After investigating various CMS platforms for a possible social community, I decided to delay any development. The biggest problem I have with solutions such as Joomla and Drupal are the ongoing maintenance costs. Piecing together a solution based upon various third-party extensions and mods, seems to be untenable, especially as the base platform evolves. It would be a horror to debug and maintain over time. At least based upon my esperiences. I think an integrated, maintainable solution is a must. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be available at this time. My guess is that it is too expensive to build such a solution and sell it at the price-points that customers would be willing to spend. As a result, there is nothing.

Rich

richrf, Aug 23, 2007 IP