1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please help me find a CMS that fits my needs?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by GlenBerry, May 10, 2010.

I'm building a web site to showcase galleries of my photographs. I also plan to use Adsense on the site, and I want to make sure my photos not only look well presented, but they are also presented in such a way to maximize my return from Adsense.

I have a great many photos to display already, and will continually be adding more in the future. I could code all the galleries by hand, and have complete control over the site, but I feel that approach might be far too tedious. So, I'm checking out various content management systems, to see if one of those would fit all my needs. I'm having trouble finding one that accommodates all of the following:

Always uses SEO friendly URLs.

Always uses an "alt" tag for every photo, and lets me decide what is in the "alt" tag.

Allows me to set unique H1 and H2 headlines on every page, so I can put the relevant keywords and info I want inside the H1 and H2 tags.

Allows me to control the content inside every page's TITLE tag.

Allows me to control the Meta Description of every page.

Allows for easy image gallery construction.

I want every full size image in the gallery to have it's own separate page. That way, I can have a unique page title, H1 & H2 tags, image captions, alt text, etc for each full size image.

Also, this is very important to me: If I add or remove images from a gallery, I don't want the URLs of any of the other images or pages changing! I currently have a Coppermine image gallery, and if I add a new photo to a gallery, it changes the URL for every photo in the gallery. Suddenly, all the people that saved links to individual photos will now have broken links. I hate that! So, each image and page not only has to have a SEO friendly URL, it also has to have a permanent URL!

If I code the site by hand, it will probably be leaner and faster. I'll also have complete control of every detail of every page.

If I use a CMS it might be less tedious, but I'll probably have to make compromises on some of my goals, to fit things into the CMS.

So, is there a CMS that will do everything I want, or should I just hand code the site myself?

GlenBerry, May 10, 2010 IP
  2. Chocolate Lime

Chocolate Lime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Have a look at Joomla (current version is v1.5.17).

Extensions of note:

sh404sef for your SEF URLS and meta editing
    Mehdi's Coppermine Bridge - to help maintain your existing gallery (if you want to)
    Or JoomGallery

Chocolate Lime, May 11, 2010 IP
  3. gacott

gacott Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Joomla for sure considering your needs.

gacott, May 11, 2010 IP
  4. GlenBerry

GlenBerry Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses. I've installed Joomla in a subdirectory, and I'm testing it out now. I have the SEF options enabled, and it looks promising so far. I'll definitely have to customize some things, but I think I just might be able to do everything I need with Joomla and a few extensions. :)

GlenBerry, May 12, 2010 IP
  5. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you feel like you want to exploit the SEO abilities of Joomla without using SEF, you can do it by using the global settings and changing the htaccess.txt file to read .htaccess. Joomla explains it in the global settings page. SEO plugins are not needed in my opinion.

Blue Star Ent., May 13, 2010 IP
  6. arraffaele

arraffaele Peon

Best Answers:
    you can try also webmatic 3.0.4 (download from valarsoft.com), it have a good photogallery section (called media album ) with various features :)

arraffaele, May 16, 2010 IP
  7. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Gallery2 will do all that fairly easily. Not sure about controlling what comes out in the alt tag, in its default config it uses the page title. Here's one we use http://www.pureanimegallery.com/main.php

It's a screenshot gallery. It's essentially the same principal as a photogallery. Adsense is easy - just drop the adsense code in the .tpl with {literal}adsensecode{/literal}

Great SEO in Gallery2 - Google loves it

A better example is this really nice photography site http://gallery.ibao.net/

blade007, May 18, 2010 IP
  8. mimizzee

mimizzee Peon

Best Answers:
    I think drupal would likely meet your needs, there is many similar joomla modules.

mimizzee, May 19, 2010 IP
  9. sanyi007

sanyi007 Peon

Best Answers:
    wordpress can work, and also that is the most user and search engine friendly blog/cms software.
    If you think wordpress is not enough for your needs, i can recommend drupal, but it has a longer/harder learning curve. The decision is yours.

sanyi007, May 19, 2010 IP
  10. aprillove83

aprillove83 Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is also good. Joomla explains it in the global settings.

aprillove83, May 23, 2010 IP