1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please suggest a CMS for this particular situation

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Parabellum, May 7, 2008.

Ok so on my news site I want to add a sort of a knowledge base section. I have pretty much whole books of content. I am trying to figure out how to best publish this mass of content both in terms of SEO and also push it through some sort of CMS where I can change the template if I want to put the ads in different positions and whatnot.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Parabellum, May 7, 2008 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    sarahk, May 7, 2008 IP
  3. Parabellum

Parabellum Peon

Best Answers:
    wiki was the the first thing i though of, but i couldnt dig up an example where they have ads in it and am not sure how custimizable the template is and if I can edit it easily .

gonna take a look at opensourcecms .com immediately

4. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    Trusted Writer, May 7, 2008 IP
  5. Parabellum

Parabellum Peon

Best Answers:
    So far i got DokuWiki as an option.

On the plus side its a well supported project with lots of documentation and extensions.

On the minus side it's not database driven and I'm not sure whats the maximum number of pages it can handle. The URLs even with a clean rewrite are pretty ugly. And I am not sure how easy the template can be moded for ads.

This is a pain in the ass :confused:

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's a small step in a very big process. Go through the options carefully and without rushing otherwise you'll be facing a bigger headache when you need to migrate from a bad choice to a good choice.

sarahk, May 7, 2008 IP
  7. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe there is a misconception when it comes to wiki software. Wikis are not exactly knowledge bases but collaborative projects focusing on whatever, including knowlege sources.

Trusted Writer, May 7, 2008 IP
  8. Parabellum

Parabellum Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah i know they are really meant as a tool for collaboration.

But if it can serve my purpose why not use them.

I have book-like groups of contents, with chapters and photos. I need to publish it in a organized way while observing common SEO principals and ad placement.

9. Dreamerr

Dreamerr Peon

Best Answers:
    There's always wordpress which is very flexible if you dig into it a little.
    It's great for SEO, well supported and free :)

Dreamerr, May 8, 2008 IP
  10. web-master

web-master Peon

Best Answers:
    snews might be helpful find it at solucija.com :)

web-master, May 8, 2008 IP
  11. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've looked at many types of CMS packages, and while my current project currently calls for something that is more flexible than Wordpress, my general advice to everyone is to first check out Wordpress, and see if it adequately services your project. Wordpress is relatively simple, stable, secure, and has good support.

From your description, I think that it is possible for you to publish your book with Wordpress, as long as you do not need something like indexing.

Here is an example book theme for Wordpress. Categories would be renamed chapters. It is a rather simple, straightforward solution.

Rich

richrf, May 8, 2008 IP
  12. RDesign

RDesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    wordpress is great cms

RDesign, May 8, 2008 IP
  13. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    As far as I know Word Press is a blogging system, not properly a CMS.

However it doesn't really care, the best CMS is at the very end whatever script that serves your purpose, whether a Wiki or a Blog ;)

Trusted Writer, May 8, 2008 IP
  14. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let's just say that Wordpress is a CMS that allows someone to easily implement a blog, but can also be used for other applications depending upon what needs to be done - e.g. a newspaper/magazine, etc.

Each of the CMSs out there are more or less suitable for applications, depending upon the application requirement and the tools and ready-made modules that each CMS has to offer. There is no bright line that separates any of the CMS which is why requirement specification is all important when looking for a CMS.

Rich

richrf, May 8, 2008 IP
  15. Parabellum

Parabellum Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I thought about Wordpress as well. I guess I would have to have a different installation for each one of the books, but thats not a biggie.

Been a while since I played with wordpress though, is there a setting where I can tell it to post in non chronological order, or would I just have to publish the text starting with the last chapter first?

I guess one problem could be that some chapters could be too long for a single post, but i guess i could break them up easy enough.

Parabellum, May 8, 2008 IP
  16. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

There may be a plugin that allows you to specify the order of the posts. Here is some documentation that shows how to modify the sort order by modifying the get_posts command in the php file.

Rich

richrf, May 8, 2008 IP