1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Podcasting 101 - Help me learn

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by TwisterMc, Jul 14, 2005.

Ok, so I'm not brand new to postcasting but I have a few questions.

1) are they just audio files? like mp3?
    2) how do you create them? (that is if they are more complicated than mp3)
    3) how to you create chapters?
    4) is there some sort of RSS technology that auto-updates you when a new cast is available?
    5) where do you listen to podcasts? Car? Jogging? Airplane?
    6) where do you get podcasts? I know iTuens brought them to the mass' but are there other good places to find them?
    6) what makes a good podcast? (personal opinion counts)

I plan on releasing my first one in the next few weeks. It won't be interesting, just something I wanna to do to say I can do it. ;)

TwisterMc, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd be interested in learning as well.

mopacfan, Jul 14, 2005 IP
  3. matty dread

matty dread Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out www.ipodlounge.com they have alot of great resources there along with a very busy forum.

matty dread, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  4. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Kool thanks!

TwisterMc, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  5. wkw

wkw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wkw, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  6. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Yep. You got it.
    A high quality digital voice recorder is generally used. Many existing radio shows use high end equipment, but some of them even just have an additional voice recorder alongside their regular mics.
    Sorry. I'm in the dark on this one.

You can kick the audio file out in your rss, or you can put a link to the audio file in your rss. I think that for various clients and publication houses the requirements differ slightly. It's all relatively new, so expect the standard way of going about things to change as new podcasting resources gain popularity. Go to iTunes and read their how-to. If you search for "podcast rss how-to" you'll find many publishers that have how-to's to work with their service.
    In the car, at work, wherever and whenever you could use a little entertainment.
    iTunes is probably the most used resource, but there are a ton. Syndic8 has a section for podcasts. There are a lot out there and many people put up their own podcasts on their own sites with instructions on how to make it work - adding value to an existing site.
    Good information or entertainment value. Regular updates. If you can only do it once a month, do it on the same day every month. Give your users a routine to follow. Sound quality is important, as is the size and speed of the download. Any useless podcasts will alienate users.

nevetS, Jul 20, 2005 IP
  7. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Thanks all!

TwisterMc, Jul 24, 2005 IP
  8. Steve MacLellan

Steve MacLellan Peon

Best Answers:
    I made a post about this on my blog yesterday that will show you how to do it.
    http://www.homebusiness-websites.com/myarchives/2005/08/quicktime_and_p.html

Sorry for the long URL; I'm a new member and not allowed to use active links. At least that was the message I got when I tried to post this with a link.:confused:

However, you will find the copy and paste worth it.

Best Regards,
    Steve MacLellan

Steve MacLellan, Aug 5, 2005 IP
    petertdavis likes this.
  9. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just finishing up a new site that will be running a podcast show. I installed Wordpress with the Ipod-Catter plugin. It's a great setup for having your podcast shows run through RSS automatically.

Dreamshop, Oct 21, 2005 IP
  10. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Guest

Best Answers:
    It's too new technique that many of us don't know what this is exactly and how we can implement it in our site. If any one can help me out pla tell me!!

Bill Smith, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  11. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    Folks have been sharing videos and recordings online for years....don't let some new buzz words scare you into thinking it's all new. There's nothing fancy that you have to do. The quick and dirty method: record something, turn it into an MP3, upload to your site, tell others it's there (rinse and repeat). You can also view this informative video. Then you can move on to this tutorial.

;)

Dreamshop, Apr 18, 2006 IP