1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Power Hidden Within Facebook Likes

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by William Veasley, Apr 12, 2011.

Hey,

My names William Tha Great, here from Houston, Texas.

For many years I have been completely against Facebook. I used to be a big myspace addict and when Facebook took over I told myself it wasn't happening again. When all my friends were on Facebook I decided to stay away. Many of my peers would spend countless hours on Facebook only waisting time.

I could see it happening everyday that passed. After a while I tried to involve myself with Facebook, but after being un-attached for so long it seemed impossible. I simply don't have that passion for using Facebook. There aren't many people who don't like using Facebook, but I happen to be one of them.

A few months ago I started my very own blog! I have always wanted to start blogging, because I enjoy having a way to express my thoughts. Anyone who has their own site knows you can't just throw one up and expect it to be found. You have to find ways of promoting it, because that's the only way it'll get noticed. There are many ways you can promote your work, and Facebook happens to be a major one. Every where I turned people were talking about how much success they were having with it.

Me on the other hand didn't even know my information to log on. For a couple months I completely ignored everything I heard about Facebook, all so I could completely focus on Twitter. Twitter has sent my blog a lot of traffic, because of my constant participation. There is always room for improvement though.

I started hearing none stop positive advice about the Facebook "Like" button. With all the positivity floating around in the air it was time for me to give it a try, and I decided to install the like button on every page of my blog. The mindset I was carrying was one of un-importance. Usually, anytime I install a plugin joy rushes throughout my body. This time I didn't feel too much joy for ole Facebook. After the day I installed the plugin I completely forgot about it.

Now's Here's Where The Story Gets Interesting

In the beginning I thought the best thing for me to do was completely ignoring my stats. I had reasoning behind my madness. The journey to my destination seemed easier if I ignored results, and purely focused on what was making me happy. This had to be the worst thing I was doing now that I look back on it. Ignoring my results for awhile was not a smart move. The fact was that I was ignoring all the negative results that would totally kill my motivation, but on the other hand what was working for me too.

When I took a peak into my stats for the first time I was shocked at traffic from Facebook. The reason I was shocked was that I hadn't used it in years. Even though I don't use Facebook it still sends me a nice bit of traffic, and all from people liking what I promote.

I never knew the power within facebook until I experienced it for myself. Now I'm really considering making a Facebook fan page. It's crazy how you can leave something, forget about it, then come to find out it's helping you!

Have you ever had any similar incidents?

God bless,
    William Veasley

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    William Veasley, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  2. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well yes I had such instances but not with facebook, because I was using it since very long time and gradually learnt and invented lot of things to drive traffic from it. There is a bookmarking site called Hacker News, this was the place where I got my most of the traffic for almost 2 months. Yes I do agree facebook is literally providing traffic to every individual's promotion if you do it in a proper way ;)

It will be a good idea for starting a facebook fan page for you. Remember you also do some viral marketing campaigns to promote your fan page on facebook.
    All the best !!!

China_girl, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  3. linkedin

linkedin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Facebook can be a beast!

linkedin, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  4. John_Marshal

John_Marshal Peon

Best Answers:
    driving traffic from facebook is quiet tough .. and its also taking lot effort to do so. but if you have crossed that hurdle then surely your are going to gain from facebook..but its only disadvantage is that ... it is time consuming...

John_Marshal, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  5. William Veasley

William Veasley Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the awesome responses!

I have to agree that the biggest hurdle is getting that traffic from Facebook started. When I first started my journey I thought that you would have to spend tons of time on Facebook to make any progress with traffic. Now I know that is the furthest thing from the truth. You really don't have to go about spending anytime on Facebook. It's all about how you go about getting traffic from Facebook. You have to attract the right crowd, then getting traffic will become natural. I have no attachment to Facebook, but it's still a constant traffic source, and with time it's only growing. The way things are happening is even surprising me, because things like this have never happened to me before now. I remember the last time I started a blog I tried with everything I had to get Facebook traffic, but it never seemed to come my way. Now that I had forgotten about Facebook, then thats when I finally start getting traffic from it.

That's pretty crazy in my opinion.

God bless,
    William Veasley

William Veasley, Apr 13, 2011 IP
  6. showkatahmad

showkatahmad Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook (Boom Boom)...

showkatahmad, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  7. narnia123

narnia123 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is quite time consuming.

narnia123, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  8. William Veasley

William Veasley Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Narnia,

You must always be aware of how much time you spend on Facebook, because it's designed to keep you hooked. When you learn how to manage your time on there that's when you'll be most productive.

God bless,
    William Veasley

William Veasley, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  9. HeatherWhite

HeatherWhite Peon

Best Answers:
    The facebook like and share buttons have different strengths and different applications on their own, and by putting them together as one, they double their level of effectiveness.

HeatherWhite, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  10. William Veasley

William Veasley Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Heather,

I have never tried the Facebook share button. Is that a plugin?

God bless,
    William Veasley

William Veasley, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  11. cluongo18

cluongo18 Member

Best Answers:
    Very heart-warming story. Facebook like button is great for authority (people come to your site and see OH WOW 5000 people liked this! This must be good stuff!) and driving traffic kind of.

Keep it up broski

cluongo18, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  12. William Veasley

William Veasley Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right my man! If you have a lot of likes on your site it will help its authority compared to other blogs that don't have many. When people like your site it also sends you traffic some how. I haven't figured out how yet, but I just know I'm getting traffic thats growing. ( :

God bless,
    William Veasley

William Veasley, Apr 16, 2011 IP
  13. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    How do you know its a result of the Like button? May be you just have good content which is being shared on FB? Just a thought.

dcristo, Apr 16, 2011 IP
  14. nmsptyltd

nmsptyltd Guest

Best Answers:
    Facebook really adds that traffic on your site. You just have to be patient because its really time consuming.

nmsptyltd, Apr 17, 2011 IP
  15. jkhurramov

jkhurramov Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing it!

jkhurramov, Apr 17, 2011 IP