1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Print Design Question

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by kuepper, Aug 24, 2006.

Hello,

I have a print design question... Typically do you design the graphics in Photoshop and then import them into QuarkXPress, Illustrator, etc. for print only? Or are things designed in QXP, AI, etc?

Thanks!

kuepper, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  2. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:

well kuepper..

for me ... i do image wrk in photoshop... and then i make the whole design in illustrator... it goes like this

make a layout in illustrator with all the text and alingment .. cause itz the design for wrkin with text.. better then photoshop...

then i place the image which i made in photoshop in illustrator (dont forget the pass the link will giving the final cd for printing..)

then just adjust the image according to youre layout and itz done.. ur print thing is ready for despatch...

ps. : dont forget the curve the text in illustrator... and use 300 res files for printing...

pratik, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  3. rmccarley

rmccarley Peon

Best Answers:
    I like InDesign a lot. But it depends on the project.

Often I will export PSD to PDF if it's very design-intensive.

rmccarley, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  4. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We use both Quark and Illustrator for print files here at the studio I work at. But we only use Illustrator when all artwork is in vector format. If we need to incorporate bitmap images, we always go to Quark.

sketch, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  5. kuepper

kuepper Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I decided to go with AI for everything... just had a few questions...

First, I have a 300dpi image in photoshop saved CYMK mode as an EPS... but if I open it in AI and copy and paste it into my AI document for the print design I'm doing, it appears a little rough, like it was sized down to fit even though the inches in measurement are the correct dimensions. Will it still print okay? Or is there something I did wrong?

Secondly, I understand that web colors look much different on print... how can I get a good preview without paying for a mockup from the printer? Are there any colors you guys would recommend using?

Also any other design tips would be greatly appreciated for large print design (poster)...

Thanks for all the help!

kuepper, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  6. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure why Illustrator isn't showing your image okay, it shows fine on my computer. It's actually Quark that does for me what you're describing. Try printing out your image on your home printer to see if the quality suffers there to. If not, then you're fine. Neither Quark nor Illustrator are bitmap programs so there are quality issues when previewing.

Unfortunately the only way to know what your final prints will look like is to get a proof from your printer. What I'd recommend is to invest in a high quality print from your printer and calibrate your monitor (and personal printer) to match as close as possible, if not exactly. If you do this make sure to use a colorful image with as many different colors as possible.

As for large posters, without knowing what you're doing the only tip I can provide is to work at 150dpi. This is assuming you're working bigger than 18 x 24. Movie posters, bus ads, etc. never go higher than 150dpi. Saves A LOT of headaches and disk space :D

sketch, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  7. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    as for the rought thing... please make sure that while placing the image in illustrator the "link" option in the place menu in not ticked on..

as for the preview .. i personally do this...

convert ur artwork of illustrator into a 300 resolution cmyk tiff file..

oprn the same in pgotoshop and press ctrl+1 / ctrl+2 / ctrl+3/ ctrl+4. for differnt colour previews.. and crtl+~ for normal preview..

hopin this helps

pratik, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  8. lum4yan

lum4yan Peon

Best Answers:
    I most use Adobe Illustrator for my final artwork and then export to PDF hi resolution

lum4yan, Sep 16, 2006 IP
  9. katabg

katabg Peon

Best Answers:
    Colors depend on right combination of monitor-software-printer color profiles. In most cases you should convert images in CMYK format. Common is RGB (for websites and for monitor). CMYK is different than RGB and dont expect to see all colors from website on paper - it is impossible.

katabg, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  10. moneydreamer

moneydreamer Peon

Best Answers:
    make image in photoshop and then import to illustrator for the design

moneydreamer, Nov 1, 2007 IP
  11. Creative_illusion

Creative_illusion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I make all the work in photoshop even for large format printing.

Creative_illusion, Nov 1, 2007 IP