1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Private Web Hosting Considering Expansion - Need Input

Discussion in 'General Business' started by swaggerer, Oct 29, 2011.

For a few months I've been running what I call a Private Web hosting company. I started this after a previous web hosting company I had didn't have much luck. Thankfully this venture has had some decent success and I'm considering expanding my marketing and online sales considerably.

First, the overview.
    I started this web host after a previous failed attempt at web hosting. This time I did things a little different. Instead of publicly posting about it at places I decided to start keeping an eye out for those who were seeking web hosting and would send them private messages (dp isn't the only webmaster forum I'm a member of).

Some took me up on the offer and some did not. I have about 20 clients right now which to me seems pretty decent but the business is building up more slowly than I would like.

The niche of my hosting is that I only offer basic support services.
    I do not offer help creating databases, email accounts, installing scripts, and things of this nature.
    If the server goes down or your website goes down, shoot me a support ticket.. otherwise, don't bother me because you cannot configure your email client properly.
    I give as many details as i can in my knowledge base, however.

It may seem harsh but so far it seems like a good deal to many.
    With the time I save not having to worry about such things I have been able to offer VERY low prices to my customers.

They say you get what you pay for and in a sense that's what my company is all about.
    I'm not there to hold your hand through every situation. You need to know what you're doing or you don't need to be in the game.

That said, I'm considering marketing on forums, namely DP, and offering the same service to people.

I want to get a feel for the potential here at the forums and see if this is something any of you would take advantage of?

An example package:
    500mb space
    50,000mb bandwidth
    10 resources (10 email accounts, 10 databases, 10 subdomains, ect...)
    1 addon domain

$3/per month

Yes there are cheaper hosts on here but a lot of my clients take solace in that I am an American Citizen with servers here in the U.S. It seems to matter a lot to them, actually.

So any thoughts? Is it worth it to post about my hosting services around DP ?

swaggerer, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  2. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Your prices are a little high for absolutely no service. For example, surmounted.net shared hosting which offers great support on cloud servers with no overselling is $5 per month for 5GB of space. If you are offering little or no service I would 1. Start a forum and 2. Lower your prices.

I had a similar idea to this, and it could have great potential.

sambling, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  3. swaggerer

swaggerer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are they an American based company? See, this is the sorta input I needed. Generally it's been my experience companies like that offer poor support but I don't know them at all. So far my clients have no issues with my pricing.

4. sambling

Best Answers:
    Yes they are American based.

5. sambling

Best Answers:
  6. swaggerer

swaggerer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I should have clarified, that isn't my only plan. That was just one of the plans. But you have made me rethink the resources I'm offering for the price. Probably going to make some updates.

7. sambling

Best Answers:
    Glad to help :D