1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Product Photography

Discussion in 'General Business' started by *Sam*, Nov 7, 2011.

I've recently been asked to take and edit a number of product photography pictures for an ecommerce website so that they can show off their stock and it's something I have looked at doing briefly before, but have always focused mainly on portrait work. However, after doing this shoot, I've realised that it's something I would really like to get into properly and want to start building up a portfolio. Unfortunately, the photos I just produced can't be used in my portfolio since I agreed I wouldnt when asked to take them.

So, my question to you all is how could I get business from online stores selling small products? With never really focusing on product photography as a business, I don't know how best it would work. Would I get business' to send me their products through the post? And if so would they be happy doing so? I think building a portfolio shouldn't be too difficult since I can do discounted work until I have a solid base of examples but once I get this I need to know whether you think it's a viable business or not. I currently live in Manchester in the UK if this helps at all.

If anyone needs any products photographed and doesn't mind them being included in a portfolio then please, by all means drop me a PM.

Many Thanks,
    Sam

*Sam*, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  2. aduncan

aduncan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My ideas/suggestions are thus:
    Firstly, get your portfolio produced. Make a quick tour of shops such as Boots or Debenhams and buy a few products to shoot [boxed and unboxed], such as perfumes and cosmetics. Also anything a bit "tricky", such as glass bottles or silverware or jewellry, photographed nicely, shouldn't fail to impress.
    Using the post for sending products might work, but dealing with more local customers will be so much more easier and practical!
    Joining a photography association, such as the The Society of International Commercial and Industrial Photographers or The Master Photographers Association would help, or for more hands-on help, a good, local photography/camera club.
    And good luck!
    Alan.

aduncan, Nov 8, 2011 IP
  3. aduncan

aduncan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My ideas/suggestions are thus:
    Firstly, get your portfolio produced. Make a quick tour of shops such as Boots or Debenhams and buy a few products to shoot [boxed and unboxed], such as perfumes and cosmetics. Also anything a bit "tricky", such as glass bottles or silverware or jewellry, photographed nicely, shouldn't fail to impress.
    Using the post for sending products might work, but dealing with more local customers will be so much more easier and practical!
    Joining a photography association, such as the The Society of International Commercial and Industrial Photographers or The Master Photographers Association would help, or for more hands-on help, a good, local photography/camera club.
    And good luck!
    Alan.

aduncan, Nov 8, 2011 IP