1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Project Management Programs. Basecamp?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by StevieP, Jul 17, 2010.

Hi everyone,

Is anyone using basecamp? If so.. What do you think of it?

At the moment I have a team of 11 plus me and my business partner. We are using google docs for file management and setting deadlines and tasks with the folder names.

Now that we have so many files and users Google Docs is getting very slow, folders dissapearing until you refresh etc, it's just starting to do my head in a bit.

The calander and milestones in basecamp looks much better but there is no online editing which could be a drag.

We usually have around 100 clients on the go at the same time so I would have to get the $149 per month version.

Would love to hear some genuine feedback before I buy it, details of any bugs etc.

Or if anyone knows of an alternative that is as good or better that would also be cool.

Cheers,

Steve.

StevieP, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  2. WriteWorkz

WriteWorkz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Basecamp is really cool and easy to use. You should try it!

WriteWorkz, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  3. redcell1

redcell1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well there is alot of software for you to try out example - goplanapp,ActiveCollab,Open Atrium, etc...

redcell1, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  4. joshua_

joshua_ Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, a Gantt chart that can be accessed by multiple people from different locations is a very effective vehicle for project management. Just Google "open source Gantt chart" - you'll find plenty of worthy candidates.

joshua_, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  5. Le Dangles

Le Dangles Member

Best Answers:
    microsoft project is the only project management software I've ever used. It's really easy to use and simple to learn. You could probably get your business organized with MS project in a couple of hours.

Also using MS project would be cheaper than paying $149.00 per month! I think the whole program is under $250 so you can use it for as much or little as you want.

Le Dangles, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  6. redcell1

redcell1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    have you tried looking into goplanapp (online based), or projectpier(self hosted open source) ?

redcell1, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  7. xax0

xax0 Peon

Best Answers:
    vote for basecamp! it's good project

xax0, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  8. StevieP

StevieP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your suggestions guys, some of those free ones are so close to basecamp it's unreal. Basecamp does seem like the most user friendly but is it really worth $149 per month when I can get something that's almost there for $0???

StevieP, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  9. PdrsRob

PdrsRob Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i've done some work on basecamp recently and its pretty cool, once you get a lot of stuff happening though it can get pretty cluttered pretty fast! then it sort of becomes a pain in the ass

PdrsRob, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  10. Eva Goyena

Eva Goyena Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Steve, I think project management software WORKetc fits your requirement. It is among the best alternatives to Basecamp. You mentioned calendar and milestones impressed you, with Worketc :
    • You can set up unlimited calendars and share these across your business, or choose to make a calendar private.
    • You can also create meetings and events and receive automatic reminders.
    • You can also sync your calendars to other services and devices including Google Calendar, Outlook and iPhone.
    Project milestone is also a cool feature of Worketc, in fact it has Time sheet & Milestone billing which isn’t available on Basecamp and other leading crm. Worketc data is integrated from document management, address book, online calendar to billing.
    You mentioned about a hundred clients, and what’s best about Worketc is that you can create unlimited logins to be used by your clients –clients can comment on a project, upload download documents and view and pay invoices (if you integrate to Worketc your payment options) –at no extra charge.
    Your monthly subscription is priced on how many employees and contractors will be using the system, and not with the number of clients who will login to collaborate.
    However, the best tool always depends on how it actually answer your needs, Worketc has a 14 day no obligation free trial –the best way to test run.

Eva Goyena, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  11. StevieP

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info (btw are you working for Worketc?) 1st comment & so much info (google alerts spring to mind). If not then thanks :)

StevieP, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  12. joshua_

joshua_ Peon

Best Answers:
    I gotta say, you're going to spend a lot of money using SaaS setups vs. free open-source alternatives. There may be some fantastic options associated with the SaaS fine-tuned products, but in the end it is just another financial liability. That is just my opinion.

joshua_, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  13. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Peon

Best Answers:
    I have not used BaseCamp but I know a couple of friends who does. They suggested that I try to integrate it with my business but I am pretty much happy and satisfied with the project management tracker that I've discovered. I have actually had a trial and error with several such tools and glad to have found what I really wanted and needed. I think this is really a part of handling a business, you need to do a lot of trial and error until things go well.

CharlesJ, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  14. StevieP

Best Answers:
    So what is it you're using then mate? please share!

StevieP, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  15. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Peon

Best Answers:
    HI Stevie, oh yeah I'd be pleased to share this project tracker tool with [/URL]you.It had been so helpful to me since day one of my operations. This helped me a lot. Besides we all deserve a stress-free business life. You can check it here:http://www.addonx.com/Windows/business-project-management/review-ProjectTrack-Express-1078397.html

CharlesJ, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  16. StevieP

Best Answers:
    StevieP, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  17. barrytylor

barrytylor Guest

Best Answers:
    [​IMG] My organization is small but needs a strong Project Management system to manage my long-term projects and solves urgent issues instantly. I am using proofhub and I feel you should go through because its features are unique and up-to-date. :)

barrytylor, Nov 10, 2010 IP