1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Promote: A Social Community

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by ShadyStudent, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello all,

I have started a site where users submit stuff and other users vote on it. Just like digg but for a specific category.

The problem I am having is getting people to register and to contribute.

I was hoping to get some advice in getting visitors to sign up. There are about 30-50 visitors a day.

I have made about 100 submissions myself to my site for users to view and vote on/comment etc. But nothing so far?!

Thanks all

ShadyStudent, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  2. marcvb

marcvb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi ShadyStudent,

I'm in a similar situation as I recently launched a social network for bloggers and I'm still trying out different marketing techniques to get in some members.

It all depends on the site's theme really. I'm having quite a bit of luck with Facebook Ads and I've just started using Google Adwords today. I was at around 30-50 last week and I'm now on 80-100 so that's a good start.

From my experience, people mostly only sign up if they see others signing up so it's good that you're doing some submissions yourself. Keep it going, make it seem like the site's growing and eventually people will start participating. I would definitely recommend posting on forums (related to the niche).

What's the site's URL? It really depends on whether you have a budget or not. I think we can all better answer the question when we know the site's niche :)

Marc

marcvb, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  3. ShadyStudent

ShadyStudent Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Marcvb,

Thank you for your reply. You are right about giving the URL to help identify my problem. I was reluctant to give it before since my site is a little on the shady side. It operates on a very very grey area in terms of legality. But anyway here it is: http://www.episodeshare.com/ (btw, there is an IE issue I am trying to fix now)

In terms of a budget, its next to zero. The thing is I can drive traffic to my site and even traffic that is targeted its just that the traffic doesn't get converted to registered users.

I think I will need to add more content and make it seem like its an active place.

Is there anything else other than that I can do? Look for luck? :)

ShadyStudent, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  4. staffsergeantpeterson

staffsergeantpeterson Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good lookin' pligg site. My pligg site exploded after I got the right peeps on DP to start submitting.

You need to go to the link exchange section and tell everyone to start submitting...

It will explode when you do;)

staffsergeantpeterson, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  5. kbeus21

kbeus21 Peon

Best Answers:
    What ever the niche is get in touch with bloggers and use them to promote your site. If they blog about it to a targetted audience you should have no problem building up your site.

kbeus21, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  6. BryanCain

BryanCain Guest

Best Answers:
    Reading your post, I couldn't agree more with you, kbeus.

I am going to start trying this tactic soon. I would like to get my site listed on some of the bigger sites. Possibly trade links, etc. etc.

I love internet marketing so far, though, in fact I love it so much. I created my own sneaky little search engine with macri otesesphere technology

You can see it at HTTP://WWW.PLABU.COM - Offers a new and exciting searching experience! if you'd like.

I am considering implementing this strategy immediately!

BryanCain, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  7. ShadyStudent

ShadyStudent Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am working on the suggestions now. If i succeed, I will come back to tell of my success. :p

ShadyStudent, May 1, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.