1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proper way to resize graphics

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by HiLoRoller, Oct 10, 2007.

I was just wondering if there was a proper way of resizing graphics (in this case a logo).

I'm just asking because sometimes I'll just go to 'image size' in photoshop and set it to what I want, but the returned result can sometimes turn out grainy.

Is it a better idea to change the DPI instead?

Thanks for your input

HiLoRoller, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  2. ansi

ansi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the only way you are going to keep the quality in any raster image is to make it smaller and even then you are going to lose some quality and perhaps some detail as well. making a raster image bigger will always result in pixelation to some extent be it a little or a lot depending on the scale of the transformation. this is why all logos should be created as vector graphics in an application specifically designed for it. Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw or something else. hope this helps.

ansi, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  3. shahcloud

shahcloud Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats why usually people create logo as vector graphics. So you can resize it without losing quality. If you use photoshop then don't forget to always create the image at a high resolution and as big as possible.

shahcloud, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  4. HiLoRoller

HiLoRoller Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tips, though I'm not too familiar with the terms raster and vector, i will check it out

HiLoRoller, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  5. ECoverFX

ECoverFX Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

I'm used to working in Photoshop, and depending on what you do with it - you can get some nice results. I too, am not used to vector and raster images, although I would like to learn eventually.

with Photoshop specifically, I find that my images stay sharp at large sizes, only if I start very large. For print purposes, usually you'll need around 320 dpi for "paper" print like book covers, flyers, etc. These can be "sized down" for web, and other projects - but never "sized up" with any degree of "clarity." If that makes any sense.

I find it much easier to work with the large images when I "fit them to screen size" so I can see the whole work, and only increase the size to "full screen" when I am doing very detailed work. Sometimes I even zoom in to get pixelated - but I'm sure there are many other graphics people out here in DP - who know of much better ways to do these things.

Any tips?

Thanks!
    Michelle

ECoverFX, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  6. jbladeus

jbladeus Peon

Best Answers:
    vector graphics: a mathematical means of representing pictures by drawing lines and shapes in relationship to designated coordinates. The saved file contains instructions for drawing the image, which can be enlarged or reduced without losing quality. Eps, svg and dxf files are examples of vector graphics.
    (www.rbsystems-design.com/html/gloss.htm)

raster graphics: Raster graphics, or bit-mapped graphics, are digital images stored as arrays of pixels for display and modification. In raster data there are no lines, circles, or polygons, only pixels that are grouped to give the appear­ance of these ele­ments.
    (https://tsc.wes.army.mil/products/tssds-tsfms/tssds/articles/papers\cadgisconcepts.htm)

jbladeus, Oct 12, 2007 IP
  7. Quizak

Quizak Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to have all my logos designed in a vector format. This will then allow you to repurpose it in print, web, television, ect without any issues. If you already have a raster logo, there was a old adobe product called streamline that converted photos to vector that might be worth your while.

Quizak, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  8. andly

andly Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have your image, resize it through image size (you have to change only the pixel dimension and resample image checked)
    then go to file->save for web

andly, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  9. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    =O You all have just answered my biggest wonder! I had never really paid much attention to what a vector graphic was, because I never used my adobe illustrator, I supposed.

*Pulls up illustrator and plays around*

TY!

Piggy, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  10. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you have the raw file for the design is easy for you to resize it..the quality always goes down if you compressed it..

reezluv, Oct 24, 2007 IP