1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Protect YOUR Business - Automatic Dailily Backups For Free

Discussion in 'General Business' started by exsuit, Jun 11, 2011.

I recently suffered a massive dataloss, lost hundreds of hours (about 2 months) worth of work. I always knew that data backups were important, but just figured it would never happen to me! Well it did and I learned my lesson!

I know have all of my computers, virtual computers (in the cloud) AND my websites backup daily to a central cloud storage service. Although I trust the cloud storage servie, I also have my entire cloud backup download to a local harddrive so I have a copy of all my data in my home.

It's all automatic, it's free, and I don't have to worry about my business ever suffering from dataloss again.

[​IMG]

The best part is (other then being free) is that I'm a tech idiot and was able to set this up in less then 10 minutes.

1. Get a Free Dropbox account - This will give you 2GB of free cloud storage, but if you tell your family and friends they will upgrade it to 10GB for free!

2. Get Microsoft SyncToy

3. Launch SYncToy and select the folder on your computer you want to Sync (Left folder) and select your Dropbox Folder as your right folder. SyncToy will copy all the files in the Left Folder into the right folder everytime you run the program.

4. To automate a daily backup, launch Microsoft Task Scheduler (under system tools)
    and follow these steps.

That's it! Hopefully this will help someone avoid the headaches I went through when I lost a harddrive!

edit: Almost forgot! I back up all my websites using this method as well using the free Wordpress backup to dropbox plugin.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    exsuit, Jun 11, 2011 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That's pretty much what I do as well, although I'm astounded that there isn't software to make it easier. All the packages I've looked at try to make a local copy before making the external copy which doesn't work when you have more than 50% of your space used.

sarahk, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  3. r00t3r

r00t3r Guest

Best Answers:
    Umm I think this would come really handy to me.

r00t3r, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  4. Sam Gilmore

Sam Gilmore Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Can't imagine my life without cloud storages))

Sam Gilmore, Jan 17, 2012 IP