1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Protecting Artwork

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by swtectonics, Dec 2, 2007.

I have a php cms portfolio site I have coded and I'd like to get suggestions on protecting her art. Since I have coded the site so she can upload her own portfolio items (and theres alot of them) manually watermarking each image could be a problem, but of course is still an option, but what other suggestions do you have as she is concerned with having her art online where it can be stolen.

swtectonics, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  2. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bnandika, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  3. swtectonics

swtectonics Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, thanks.

swtectonics, Dec 4, 2007 IP
  4. journeyoftheanimals

journeyoftheanimals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe there are programs out there that might auto watermark each picture but I would not be able to tell you what those programs are. If you decided to watermark each by hand it is not too hard. I used photoshop to watermark over 1000 pictures. I first made just a simple "©journeyoftheanimals.com" in a 3d silver type. I then selected it, copied it and then pasted it in each picture. I am not sure what kind of watermark you are working on but maybe this would help.

Adam Burgi

journeyoftheanimals, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  5. journeyoftheanimals

Best Answers:
    Oh and I would suggest not to rely only on a "no right click" script. Anyone that wants those pictures can still very easily get them, but I will not post here how to do it.

Adam Burgi

6. swtectonics

swtectonics Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know the ways around the "no right click", but hey.. a little protection is better then none.

swtectonics, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  7. journeyoftheanimals

Best Answers:
    Oh very true.

8. orici

orici Peon

Best Answers:
    I found to manage web pages for a gallery is JAlbum (it is free, but very powerful). It might be overkill for just watermarks, but it will produce minatures and thumbnails with watermark.

orici, Dec 5, 2007 IP
  9. lynder

lynder Peon

Best Answers:
    Err O don't suggest the no rightclick restriction because it is quite annoying

lynder, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  10. litebulb1

litebulb1 Peon

Best Answers:
    if you were using a CMS they have modules that apply watermarks as they are displayed.

litebulb1, Dec 6, 2007 IP
  11. Miss-Blossom

Miss-Blossom Guest

Best Answers:
    Basically there isn't a lot you can do to prevent people downloading images. Disbling right click is just silly, as anyone can do a screen grab of it. Watermarking just looks yucky. Copyright laws are very specific, and personal, I'd just suggest to her that she be vigilant about making sure no-one is selling or using her images elsewhere. Copyright law is international and automatic, so regardless of the copyright symbol, her art is prtected under international law and if you catch someone stealing images you can apply to have their site shut down, just as anyone copying dvd's or cd's would have their shop closed.

Miss-Blossom, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  12. BeeMWyou

BeeMWyou Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Watermarking is what I would do. For example, on NewEgg the watermarks don't look so bad..

BeeMWyou, Feb 9, 2009 IP