1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about someone building my site

Discussion in 'General Business' started by shields429, Aug 17, 2011.

Hello everyone! I recently purchased some Ebooks & am looking to have a website built. The company I bought the books from can build the site for me at a low cost but being new to this type of thing I want to make sure about one thing. Since I'm not using their hosting for my site I asked what would be needed to still have them build the site for me.....in return I was told that they need to have my Host Gator information so they can do it.....is this normal? Like I said being new to this field has me skeptical and I figured they could just send me a link to upload onto Host Gator....seems like I would be giving them to much information for my site. If anyone can tell me that I'm being too paranoid and that this is a normal request I would be so thankful!!!! :)

shields429, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  2. ЄxDeus™

ЄxDeus™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    first define low cost you seem very new and what might be low cost for you might be expensive as you dont know the waters come to speak. The company can upload your site for you if you give them your Host Gator details however you could upload the site your self if its basic HTML and wouldnt need to give out your details. If its using a database and your very new you would need to do a little reading before you uploaded it but im sure SQL wouldnt take you long to grasp also hostgator offer support so they would be able to help you with the upload. what im saying is the company will not need your details in order to build you a website. IF it was me i wouldnt give the passwords out.

ЄxDeus™, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  3. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes... this is normal. Because they will upload your local website to online through hosting server infomation.

jhardy2008, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  4. carasoft

carasoft Peon

Best Answers:
    hello,

if this is still on please send me a pm and i am sure we can do the job for you. Another thing... i can give you hosting as well.

Cheers, Radu

carasoft, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  5. bozzie12345

bozzie12345 Member

Best Answers:
    its perfectly normal to provide them with your hostgator information, theres not a lot they can get from it so you have nothing to worry about

bozzie12345, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  6. shields429

shields429 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for the replies!ЄxDeus: It will cost me $50 to have it uploaded, the only reason it costs anything is because I chose not to use the server that they wanted to upload me to.carasoft: Thank you for the offer however, I had already purchased the domain and hosting site :)I'm so stressed right now and truly find it easier for them to upload it for me, especially when they were going to in the first place.

shields429, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  7. mottdog

mottdog Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure they explain how they are doing it. That way you can do it yourself in the future. Most hosting services now a days have automatic installers for the mainstream platforms.

mottdog, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  8. carasoft

carasoft Peon

Best Answers:
    there should not be a problem... once that done make sure there is no ftp account for them, change the passwords ;)

Cheers, Radu

carasoft, Aug 19, 2011 IP