1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quit Job and Start Virtually?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by phuongymy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. gcgipson

gcgipson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would advise you not get caught up in the romanticism of quitting your job to work for yourself, and wait until your business actually generates consistent profits that are double what you make at your job.

gcgipson, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  2. dailybread2011

dailybread2011 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Below are a couple of things I bear in mind every day as I work online and write books for Kindle, do CPA and practice launch jacking. I am not smart enough to haev thought of them myself, but I can swear that they are true. :)

We become what we think about.

When a human mind clearly and continually visualizes an end
    result, with deep emotion and concentrated intent, then the
    formatted energy generated is converted into its mass equivalent -
    i.e. the result desired.

The simple secret of the universe is that you create your own reality.

dailybread2011, Apr 28, 2013 IP
  3. phuongymy

phuongymy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone. I had been away working and pondering everyday at my current job about my virtual business. I had to think hard and long but I don't think I'm going to do anything absurd just yet. I like all your guys advises but in the end I still got to Pay my bills. My partner and I have a long way to go and I'm just glad to have found this community of great and intellectual bunch. I will keep you guys updated as there are good after hills to go over.

thanks everyone

phuongymy, May 2, 2013 IP
  4. gkuang2

gkuang2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone makes good points about how making money online is not easy, but the way I look at it is that you really want to do this and I feel like your full time job is holding you back from really succeeding online. If you are working 9 hours a day, there is absolutely no time to make your online business successful. It a lot of hard work, but if you are passionate working 14+ hrs a day on you online business shouldn't even feel like work. You have to be really passionate though, otherwise it would be work and you would struggle to get anything done. Passion is key. You might not make money for months, so you might want to get a part time job in the beginning. But like i said if you are currently working 9 hours a day, there is absolutely no time for you to make it happen online. Good luck!

gkuang2, May 2, 2013 IP
    jmjsolutions likes this.
  5. jmjsolutions

jmjsolutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

First, I want to say congratulations on even thinking about pursuing your dream. So many people get jaded after years at a day job and don't feel like anything else is even possible for them. You are a step ahead of so many! So that is fantastic!

I know what you are feeling because I was in the same place not too long ago. I had been striving for the dream while at the same time working at my job for 2 years. I was not going to quit my job though because I didn't want to risk it. But you know what happened to me? I got laid off in Jan 2012 and decided to work on my business instead of trying to find a new job. I received a few months worth of unemployment income, so I had some money to support myself while I put my efforts into IM. Call it a blessing or call it luck and the result of my work, but I managed to get my business income high enough to live off of JUST IN TIME before the unemployment benefits ran out.

That type of situation worked out for me, but it is very high pressure (it was one of the hardest years of my life). It can motivate you because you know that you have no choice but to MAKE the business work, since you have no job. However, at the same time it can cause a lot of stress because everything is uncertain and there is no guarantee that you will achieve your goals before your savings run out. Whether or not this will work for you depends on your personality. If you can handle the high pressure, stress, and risk, then I'd say go for it.

If you do decide to quit your job, you should have at least 6 months worth of savings to live off of.
    Here is another idea though: Why not just switch to a part-time job? Then you can still have some steady income, but also more time to work on your business...

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well.

jmjsolutions, May 3, 2013 IP
  6. belgin fish

belgin fish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Don't quit your job, that's stupid. You probably think it's easier to make money online than it actually is.

Also even if you work 9 hours a day 7 days a week, you only need 6 hours of sleep, 1 hour of eating, therefore if you really wanted to you could do internet stuff 8 hours a day with your current schedule.

belgin fish, May 3, 2013 IP
  7. phuongymy

phuongymy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    there is no such thing as making easy money. Everything comes with chance, pain, loss, opportunity, motivation, devotion, But last not least your will to keep going. As for me having time after with; I don't. Not one bit, except Saturday acc Sunday.

phuongymy, May 3, 2013 IP
  8. fernie02

fernie02 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I made this mistake before. I quit my day job and pursued my virtual job. And let me tell you. That was not the best thing for me. I had no money to support myself or my business.

I would suggest you spend the 2 hours you have available in your dream job. Don't make the mistake I made.

Speaking from experience.

fernie02, May 8, 2013 IP
  9. JackyS

JackyS Member

Best Answers:
    You can work as freelance. In the freelance work no need to specific catagery of work. You can change work on daily and hourly base.

JackyS, May 8, 2013 IP
  10. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Investment is investment. Virtual investments have no difference.
    When you invest some cash in a business, you are called as a "Business man"
    Being an employee and being a business man are like living in 2 complete different World's. You can not be both at the same time. If you try, most likely that's gonna be ended up with losing both, your day job and your business.
    If you feel like that you are an employee rather than a business man, don't quit your job.
    If you feel like a business man, don't waste time with your boring job, quit your job today.

makeit easy, May 9, 2013 IP
  11. aaa143

aaa143 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    viral marketing is one way which change ur life i use facebook,youtube and all social networking sites to earn money by working 1 hr a day enough u to earn best income easily

aaa143, May 14, 2013 IP
  12. Carl Mason

Carl Mason Active Member

Best Answers:
    phuongymy from experience I can tell you it’s not easy because the very little things such as your mental sanity get knocked daily when you’re starting out, but the one piece success is your platform to build on. I wish you the best of luck!

Think how hard you work for your current employer x2 and your get to your goal. Never take no for an answer. Business is not a spectator sport!

Going against the grain of what everybody is saying of quitting your job, I would say do it because the only fear you fear is fear itself.

1 point to look at is your partner. Is he or she as dedicated as you?

Will he share the same enthusiasm as you if you have 3 months of no sales?

If you’re serious it’s a partnership for the next 5 years! worth thinking about take some time. And spend at least 2 weeks on your business plan.

The best thing in life let me tell you when you have worked you’re bum of and those gates to heaven open.

Carl Mason, May 14, 2013 IP
  13. VukasinI

VukasinI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are sure in what you are investing, you should quit your job. You will see many advantages working online. But if you are not so sure about how to invest and everything,better not. You can end without a money and job...

VukasinI, May 14, 2013 IP
  14. Antonello G.

Antonello G. Peon

Best Answers:

This is a very good point, however I do not totally agree with it.

An entrepreneur is defined as 'a person who sets up a business, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit'.

Establishing a business means taking risks, being brave and invest financial resources in order to have something back. However, in doing this you need a sort of knowledge.

So, ask yourself if you possess an adequate knowledge to compete into a market. In fact, without know-how, good ideas just got wasted.

Antonello G., May 14, 2013 IP
  15. justintoxicated

justintoxicated Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    General rule of thumb I, and many other folks live by is this: Do not quit your current job until you have a new job lined up and locked down.

In your situation this means: Start working on your online ventures and when the income is sufficient to support you (and your friend) you can comfortably make the transition and quit your day jobs.

One other thing to remember is this: Company benefits!

Health insurance, 401k matching, etc. Just this morning I came to the realization that my day job is just one of my streams of income and until I really no longer need it, I will continue to show up and collect that pay check.

My 2 cents. Best of luck to you both!

justintoxicated, May 14, 2013 IP
  16. Emma Chen

Emma Chen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Surrounding community is always pulling us down in this. And they are not wrong; how can any one give advice when they themselves never experienced or overcome their fear

Emma Chen, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  17. zaisk

zaisk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not agree with most of you guys. Business is not the place you can feel safe -all the time. Business is risky from the start, till the end. Even to sell the business is risky. Risk = business.

People who want to feel safe and stable should not run business at all. Then it's much better to work from 8AM - 5PM, get regularly salary and if company fails - ruin from the "sinking ship" to another one. But if you want accept challenge, don't waste your time. Life is short and to create business what you need is - TIME. So do not waste it.

Usually there is no such scenario, that you can save few thousands of dollars from your salary an finally establish your own company. Such amount does not change anything. If you have ideas, project, know-how and passion to create something - go for it, don't waste your time. Think twice if you really can not get such few dollars to start something now?

Life is short and you have the most power when you are young, up to 30 years old. When you are older, have wife, kids, house or car loan - then you really can't quite your job and start risky activity from zero. So do not wait for such situation.

Staying too long at job, can blow you out from business at all.

Being in situation when you run out of money, have business and tons of work - is the best "kick ass" to start acting! Sitting in "Warm GreenHouse" and eating mother chops - will not push you to the real result.

That's my ideas. I already quit my job and changed it to online business. What i regret, is the only one thing - that I was waiting so long. I had to quit and start it earlier!

Go for your dream guys.

zaisk, Jun 4, 2013 IP
  18. HomeDesigner

HomeDesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I posted a thread covering the same point, but it was removed due to the cluster failure, however, i advice you not to make any decision until you are sure that it is working 100%, don't risk a sure thing for a dream that seems perfect in your mind, but might fail in the reality, take it easy.

HomeDesigner, Jun 4, 2013 IP