1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Read Nietzsche if you are atheist...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dilipsam, Nov 27, 2004.

Hello all,

Since this is an unmoderated forum I'm posting this unhesitatingly despite it's high controversy. If you read Nietzsche, you'll realize many things: that politics is dirt, that religion is nonsense and that there is no after life. My tone might sound like the "look back in anger" type but this is the truth. To enjoy and prolong this one and only life stay away from smoking and drinking. All the best.

Regards,
    Dilip Samuel

dilipsam, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  2. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone is entitled to their beliefs :)

Daniel, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What was that again, can you explain in better detail :confused:

Do you get the college virgins when you get to the promised land in that religion :confused:

anthonycea, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    You're from India, dilipsam, what's your religion and what's your opinion on religions of the west? Who do you think are atheists, chrisitans etc... can you tell by their posts?

Lever, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  5. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this to an extent "that religion is nonsense" wouldn't call it nonsense but I don't need it myself, and I agree with this "stay away from smoking and drinking".

I've never heard of "Nietzsche" I will have to look it up and realize many things. :cool:

Colleen

Colleen, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  6. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Nietzsche, like all psychologists, all philosophers, all people, all religions, has contributed some agreeable and some disagreeable points to the discourse of humanity - they all have their followers; I studied under a passionate Lacanian proponent and, despite their fervour, could not come to terms with a 100% belief like some people are prone to.

Freud, Jung, Neitzsche, Ericsson, Lacan all have valid points but who has the majority of those points, who has all those points? Does any religion have any of those? Any individuals? Any other groups?

Or are The Simpsons the new religion :rolleyes: :confused: :p

Lever, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  7. rth

rth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Read Nietzsche if you are atheist...?

No, read Nietzsche if you are religious... :)

Read Karl Barth if you are atheist...

Expand your mind!

Just a humble opinion from one of the "old men" of the forum. :D

Roger

rth, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    "On the morning of January 3, 1889, while in Turin, Nietzsche experienced a mental breakdown which left him an invalid for the rest of his life."

Seems to me I'd rather read the writings of someone who wasn't nuts.

schlottke, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  9. dilipsam

dilipsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah thats a sad end but did you know there are two theories behind it? One is whether his kind of thinking made him mad or was it the madness the cause for such thinking. Apparently among philosophers the only person who died peacefully was Schopenhauer and 90% of them had tragic endings like Nietzsche.

Good question. I'm a lapsed Christian from India. Since I have never been to the West I can not comment on the Western Thoughts.

The problem with Nietzsche is he shows two sides of the coin. He seems so self contradictory. In many ways Nietzsche is seen as a forerunner to Freud, especially with the theories such as 'repression'. In fact Freud himself acknowledged Nietzsche on many occasions.

Boy I'm starting to love this forum looking at the response rate. I'll read Karl Barth. Thanks for the info.

Regards,
    Dilip Samuel

dilipsam, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Then I'd say you're hanging out in the wrong forum, schlottke... :eek:

minstrel, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  11. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    "Then I'd say you're hanging out in the wrong forum, schlottke..."

What do you mean, I scan over Anthony's posts.. :)

schlottke, Nov 27, 2004 IP
  12. tomecki

tomecki Peon

Best Answers:
    Nietzsche was writting about Cristianity mostly. He didn't like this - you can read it in "Antichrist" and then "Zaratustra".
    He accused Cristanity of pity and death, that everybody is sad and weak. It is the opposite of Darwin Law. He said that evolution in Human Race goes down by pity.

"
    What is good?--Whatever augments the feeling of power, the will to power, power itself, in man.
    What is evil?--Whatever springs from weakness.
    What is happiness?--The feeling that power increases--that resistance is overcome.
    Not contentment, but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but efficiency (virtue in the Renaissance sense, virtu, virtue free of moral acid).
    The weak and the botched shall perish: first principle of our charity. And one should help them to it.
    What is more harmful than any vice?--Practical sympathy for the botched and the weak--Christianity...
    "

"
    --With this I come to a conclusion and pronounce my judgment. I condemn Christianity; I bring against the Christian church the most terrible of all the accusations that an accuser has ever had in his mouth. It is, to me, the greatest of all imaginable corruptions; it seeks to work the ultimate corruption, the worst possible corruption. The Christian church has left nothing untouched by its depravity; it has turned every value into worthlessness, and every truth into a lie, and every integrity into baseness of soul. Let any one dare to speak to me of its "humanitarian" blessings! Its deepest necessities range it against any effort to abolish distress; it lives by distress; it creates distress to make itself immortal. . . . For example, the worm of sin: it was the church that first enriched mankind with this misery!--The "equality of souls before God"--this fraud, this pretext for the rancunes of all the base-minded--this explosive concept, ending in revolution, the modern idea, and the notion of overthrowing the whole social order--this is Christian dynamite. . . . The "humanitarian" blessings of Christianity forsooth! To breed out of humanitas a self-contradiction, an art of self-pollution, a will to lie at any price, an aversion and contempt for all good and honest instincts! All this, to me, is the "humanitarianism" of Christianity!--Parasitism as the only practice of the church; with its anaemic and "holy" ideals, sucking all the blood, all the love, all the hope out of life; the beyond as the will to deny all reality; the cross as the distinguishing mark of the most subterranean conspiracy ever heard of,--against health, beauty, well-being, intellect, kindness of soul--against life itself. . . .

This eternal accusation against Christianity I shall write upon all walls, wherever walls are to be found--I have letters that even the blind will be able to see. . . . I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough,--I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race. . . .

And mankind reckons time from the dies nefastus when this fatality befell--from the first day of Christianity!--Why not rather from its last?--From today?--The transvaluation of all values! . . . "

tomecki, Nov 28, 2004 IP
  13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    To sum up...

The total of all human thought = incorrect

The mind of the creator = correct

Trust who you will :)

anthonycea, Nov 28, 2004 IP
  14. dilipsam

dilipsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nietzsche's hatred Christianity can only be understood by studying his mind. Can anyone digest this: A trull brought into the fold and a thief promised heaven on the cross. Nietzsche couldn't tolerate this injustice. To counteract this , he brought the uebermensch theory where the overman is a master race ruling without remorse and oppressing the weak but at the same time having something noble about him. He detested cunningness: he liked the noble lion but the detested the parasitic fox.

dilipsam, Nov 28, 2004 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah and in the end he and his thoughts are nothing but a pile of dust just like many ancient empires, Roman, Greek, Egypt and the rest.

But God is eternal, the Sun comes up at it's appointed time and man continues to work destruction upon the earth.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Quoted from prior post:

"To counteract this , he brought the uebermensch theory where the overman is a master race ruling without remorse and oppressing the weak".

Your hero sounds like Hitler to me, we have folks like this running the war in Iraq right now, Halliburton, ever hear of them?

16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Nietzsche isn't for everyone, Chick-Formerly-Known-As-Anthony. He is what is sometimes called a Niche writer.

minstrel, Nov 28, 2004 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, I have seen enough from what the author of the thread mentioned, I get enough of that attitude from watching Bush and Cheney, never need anymore mind pollution ;)

18. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Nietzsche: God is dead.
    God:Nietzsche is dead.

Nietzsche was a good writer, mainly due to the large quantity of drugs in his system ;) and his works are good, I wasnt to keen on a couple of his books but some of it was quite good, however it is not a compete or balanced overview and the translations and spin put on his work means it it to easy to take one point of view as the entire thrust of his argument.
    A lot of people focus on some elements of his writing and classify him in a specific catagory due to that, if you want my Opinion Go read some Nietzsche and then some Bhudist writings after.

Extremity can give you balance.

I dont believe in a devine sentient being looking down on us judging, I dont believe that ANY religion on this earth has all, or even most of the answers, and I believe that anyone who tells me that god wants me to do this or that should be sent straight to meet him, and confirm that.
    I do believe in spirituality though.

darksat, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Here is the difference, God decides who lives and dies in the next life.

No man who ever lived has this power. Dust to dust, remember, we get old and turn to dust ;)

anthonycea, Nov 29, 2004 IP
  20. darksat

darksat Guest

Best Answers:
    Im considering getting Frozen. ;)

darksat, Nov 29, 2004 IP