1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recommendations needed: Best graphics GUI for a newbie

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Joobz, Jan 28, 2008.

I have all the expensive stuff, Adobe Creative Suites and the Macromedia Suite (Flash, Fireworks, etc) but with my limited abilities on the graphics front, isn't there something more dumbed-down and easier to use to make website graphics without the huge learning curve?

Joobz, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. themasterplan

themasterplan Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe the best thing to do, believe it or not, is to start with Photoshop. It´s a little bit complicated at the beginning, but you can focus only in the features you need for the web. For instance, you don´t need to know how to export files, or all the complicated saving options; you only need to use "save for web", and you can use that same criteria with every feature at the beginning.

themasterplan, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    What about MS Paint? :p

Photoshop is the industry standard for a reason. Spend some time with it, learn how to make it do what you need it to do, and you'll learn to love it.

It starts and ends with Photoshop :)

Kerosene, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  4. Joobz

Joobz Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose I will dive into the many PS Tutorial sites around the net. Does anyone have any favorites?

Joobz, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  5. graphics337

graphics337 Peon

Best Answers:
    Total Training. You already bought the software, you should buy the total training, and not the one for the creative suite, but Total Training for Photoshop or Illustrator, the programs themselves. They are the best for learning the programs.

graphics337, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  6. Joobz

Joobz Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried any of their courses? Do they have good feedback?

Joobz, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  7. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like tutorialized.com mainly because they have over 8500 photoshop tutorials from beginner to advanced and everything in between.

Your best bet is just to jump right in. Follow any tutorials really and you will slowly become more familiar with the software and it's powers bit by bit.
    Another option would be to go to your local library and get a book or two on photoshop. They often have more detailed info than tutorial sites and I find it easier to sit with a book than to keep opening and closing my browser. If your library doesn't have any, just ask. They can get just about any book transfered to you from another library. Best of all, it's totally free :)

eruct, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  8. Wes Lee

Wes Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    I was actually going to say that, lol.

Agreed.

Also, try good-tutorials.com

Wes Lee, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  9. newcentury

newcentury Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here are the list you will like:
    tutorialized.com
    pslover.com
    smalltutorials.com
    totaltutorials.com
    totaltutorial.com
    Code (markup):
    They are databases of photoshop tutorials where people submit their tutorials, so search there is the best.
    Just my opinion, good-tutorials.com is really a good site, daily updated, but it is not for the beginners.

newcentury, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  10. arwen54

arwen54 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer Corel products myself, in particular PhotoImpact which used to be owned by Ulead. PhotoImpact is great because you get all the functionality and ability to extend the software so that it is as robust and feature-rich as PhotoShop for a fraction of the cost. See my signature for the link ;)

arwen54, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  11. PurrSnickety

PurrSnickety Peon

Best Answers:
    I 2nd that...gotta learn it sooner or later. And it's not really that bad, it's a pretty intuitive program. Just dive in and learn it. No point in lilypadding if you already have it.

PurrSnickety, Jan 30, 2008 IP
  12. Joobz

Joobz Peon

Best Answers:
    Lillypadding... nice. I agree with that - it's just that I am more of the technical (scripting) minded than of a creative (graphics) minded person. Thanks.

Joobz, Jan 31, 2008 IP