1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reduce image size

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Dwaighty, Nov 11, 2007.

I am still a beginner in Photoshop, and though I can manage to create myself acceptable logos, their size is not acceptable at all. For example if I save my current logo as a .jpg file with 12 quality, it will have somewhere around 90 kb. If I save it as .png it will be around 60 kb and as .gif around 40 kb. How can I expect my page to load fast when only my logo has this size?

I tried lowering the quality level for .jpgs to 10 or 9, but they are still big and the quality has been affected dramatically. What should I do to compress my images and preserve the quality?

Thanks!

Dwaighty, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  2. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
  3. harris17

harris17 Peon

Best Answers:
    the name of the software please?

harris17, Nov 11, 2007 IP
  4. mac_crazy

mac_crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you using the "save as" command, or "Save for web" command? The latter optimizes your file for web use. Assuming your files are at 72 dpi, any higher resolution than that for the web is unnecessary.

mac_crazy, Nov 11, 2007 IP
    Dwaighty likes this.
  5. Mooseman

Mooseman Peon

Best Answers:
    ^^
    And you only need .gif if it's a logo (I mean no real images), no need for it to be a jpg or png.

Mooseman, Nov 12, 2007 IP
    Dwaighty likes this.
  6. Dwaighty

Dwaighty Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I needed! I didn't notice the save for the web option...imagine that after I saved my logo with this option the file size was 70 kb less than saving it the usual way. Thanks!

Dwaighty, Nov 12, 2007 IP
  7. Dwaighty

Dwaighty Peon

Best Answers:
    I added a background to my logo to fit better with the rest of the header, but thanks for your advice, I'll follow it next time!

Dwaighty, Nov 12, 2007 IP