1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reducing the MB demands of photos

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by alstar70, Mar 10, 2007.

I wondered how you can best take a good picture and modify it so it fits into the Mb rating of many forums, directories, etc. I've been having problems getting a result I like.

Is there are program you can recommend? Or this there a procedure I should follow?

alstar70, Mar 10, 2007 IP
  2. kernes

kernes Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you can use photoimpact.its easy to use and learn.i use and i have no problem

kernes, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  3. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    do you have any image SW?

most of the time programs will let you resize the pictures for the web, (generally < = 800x600) and adjust the JPG compression ratio.

you can do this with Photoshop obviously but most other programs as well.

timsdd, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  4. stevpan

stevpan Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a lot of photos for filesize reducing, you can use the online batch photo resizing tool on my blog. I develop it because many free web hosting spaces have a 500k filesize limit. It's easier than using photoshop to adjust images one by one.

Users specify a filesize threshold, the program will automatically decrease JPEG quality gradually until filesize below the threshold or jpeg quality below 0.75.

After that, the program will automatically reduce the image dimension gradually until filesize below threshold.

The page is:
    http://freejtv.blogspot.com/2007/05/filesize-reduction-for-jpeg-image.html

stevpan, Jun 25, 2007 IP
  5. keela

keela Peon

Best Answers:
    In Photoshop, File > Save for web and then choose the compression you like (I use between 80% and 100% mostly). This will decrease your filesize with almost no quality changes. But as timsdd said, there are other programs which let you do something like this, so If you don't own a copy of Photoshop you don't have to buy it for that, just use any other (and cheaper) alternative.

keela, Jun 26, 2007 IP
  6. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    PS is pretty slick b/c it has a built it script/batch just to resize photos

File > Scripts > Image Processor

and then you can select jpg, tif, the amt of compression you want for the jpg from 1-12, 12 being least compression (max file size).

You can even run a script (like © watermarking).

But by the same token not everyone has it, stevpan's online option looks intriguing

timsdd, Jun 26, 2007 IP
    Mia likes this.
  7. stevpan

stevpan Peon

Best Answers:
    The batch image resizer has been moved to
    http://slideplay.blogspot.com/2007/05/filesize-reduction-for-jpeg-image.html

stevpan, Nov 14, 2007 IP