1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Regional vs United States Car classifieds

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mezner, Feb 17, 2010.

I'm working on a car classifieds site, but I'm really stuck on this question. I was thinking of doing it on cars here in the Midwest (USA) instead of the entire USA. I came up with a list of props and cons, but I really want to hear some feedback....

cons:
    less cars, less money
    less traffic

pros:
    appeals to a certain niche (not sure if this is good or bad)
    sell advertising for regional car dealers

Another pro that I had was since it was a specific area, they may go to my site instead of, say autotrader.com or modifiedcartrade.com I want to make some decent money off of this website, both by selling car ads and dealer advertisements. I'm really stuck on WHO I should really try and target. So, the question remains, Midwest or entire USA?

mezner, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  2. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    You mentioned the name of a giant on this market, now keep in mind that it'll be extremely hard to get even close to autotrader.com and I suggest that you start the website regionally, adding one new state at a time as the business grows. I wouldn't consider inserting all the states unless I can populate them all with listings right away, otherwise it will look like a huge directory with no listings to search through.

Clive, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  3. unprogram

unprogram Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, start off targetting the regional markets first as they will have less competition.

unprogram, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  4. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually have a certain kind of cars I will be targeting, which I want to keep it a secret.

mezner, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  5. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you can post enough cars you have a good chance.

good thing is you have to spend less on marketing. regardless its a tough niche with so many good sites already in.

webcosmo, Feb 17, 2010 IP