1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Registering a script selling business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lorddan01, Feb 28, 2010.

Hello.

I have an idea for a script, its in testing at the moment. I can't say the niche htat it is in but it is unique from what i can see. I know i'll have to register it as a business but i'd like info/advice from anyone who has knowledge of this area.

Things such as what steps did you take, was it registered a normal business or something specific. Also has anyone looked into patenting or copyrighting either a full script idea, or a mod for a script? And if not does anyone know if it's possible.

Thank you.

lorddan01, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  2. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its not worth the work to get your script patent coz it will take around 5 year to get it fully patented.

mentos, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  3. lorddan01

lorddan01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    is that 5 years because of the nature of the project or just a general patent will take 5 years? And what knowledge do you have of patent, if i wanted to do you know which bits i can patent, just a mod of a script, or the general idea of what the script does. So for example if i invented an arcade script, i know it already exists but for example sake, could i patnet the idea of a script to run an arcade, or not? Thanks.

lorddan01, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  4. mrupp2006

mrupp2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can still implement your idea while waiting for a patent, however it is much quicker to register your idea for the copyrights rather than the patent. You can quickly get legal copyright to your material. You could get the copyright then the patent. Just an idea.

mrupp2006, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  5. Fergal

Fergal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are serious about the business you should probably get professional legal advice, in relation to intellectual property. I'm not qualified to give you legal advice but I do have an opinion. I'd suggest that for many people it is not worth going to the expense of registering a patent for an idea unless you have a large budget for setting up your business. The reason I say this is because if a large company decides to steal your idea or your code, you won't have the resources to finance the legal costs of defending your patent. As I said I'm not a legal professional and other members may have a different opinion on this.

The process of registering your business depends on the legal jurisdiction that applies to wherever you are setting up that business.

Fergal, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  6. lorddan01

lorddan01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, i have contacted professionals about patents, the UK patent office, and they say i am not able to patent it, i can use automatic copyright but not patent.

lorddan01, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  7. Fergal

Fergal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply lorddan01, good luck with your business. HotScripts.com would be a good place to promote your script, when you are ready.

Fergal, Mar 3, 2010 IP