1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reorganizing Directory Strucutre of Website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by mrukjames, Apr 26, 2008.

Hi, when I started out I didn't think about putting my pages into a directory sructure. Now I have about 30 html pages in the root directory, which is a bit annoying.

10-20 of these pages have a page rank and drive most of the traffic to my website.

I really want to move these pages into another folder but I know if may destroy 60-70% of my traffic. At the moment I am averaging 250 unique visits a day (I'm a new website).

Is it worth it? What would you do? I'm thinking that if I am going to do it, I have to do it NOW whilst the pages are only a Google PR1. I don't want to leave it until they are a PR4 for instance.

Thanks. It might seem like a silly question, but I just want to know what the gurus think and get a second opinion. Or perhaps I am being silly for wanting to move them? One of the reasons is that I can see my site getting very big. Cheers.

mrukjames, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  2. helpplease

helpplease Banned

Best Answers:
    keep the pages there, put copies in the new location, use redirects to move traffic from oldpage.php to newpage/ so you don't loose the traffic easy enough with a little bit of mod_rewrite or php.

also when your doing it, amke sure you put every page in it's own directory and call it index.html
    so
    /contact/index.html
    then always link to it as
    /contact/

it'll show as it's the default, and if you change to say "index.php" down the line on an upgrade you won't need to change your links :)

ps: do it now before you hit higher traffic, make sure you have redirects on, and stick to a format that works

helpplease, Apr 26, 2008 IP
  3. mrukjames

mrukjames Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there, thanks for that. I like the idea about having a different categories with an index.html/index.php file etc. A redirect would only be useful for a few weeks until Google finds and indexes the new pages, but I will still be looses the page rank of those old pages, that's what my concern was.

I don't know php, so will have to look for simple ways of redirecting.

Thanks for your help,

mrukjames, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  4. mrukjames

mrukjames Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I have just added this line to my .htaccess file and nothing happens- it is not redirecting:

redirect 301 /introduction.html http://www.anxietymadewell.com/way_to_happiness/introduction.html
    Code (markup):
    Can anybody tell me why it won't work?

5. mrukjames

mrukjames Peon

Best Answers:
    Me again, hi.

I've heard that if you use mod_rewrite you are letting the search engines know that it's a permanent move and your page rank is automatically transfered over? Is this true?

I've just added this code to my .htaccess and it appears to work fine, so I shall start moving the files over soon, unless anybody tells me this is not the correct method.

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^introduction\.html$ http://www.anxietymadewell.com/way_to_happiness/introduction.html [R=301,L]
    Code (markup):