1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Restore color to black and white pictures using Photoshop

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by cre8ive, Jan 31, 2008.

I started watching a Photoshop video lecture series, and one lecture kind of introduced a way to restore color to black and white pictures using Photoshop. So, I was playing with this this morning.

1. Select an area that has similar colors. E.g. blouse, jeans, skin, a piece of furniture.

2. Delete everything else; this becomes a new layer.

3. Create different layers for different areas.

4. Give color to all layers by playing with hue and saturation.

Viola ...?

Is this how you can restore color to black and white pictures? Is there a better way?

cre8ive, Jan 31, 2008 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    um... I have no idea what you are talking about. some images would be nice.

eruct, Feb 1, 2008 IP
  3. cre8ive

cre8ive Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's say that I have the following image:

[​IMG]

Let's say that I make a copy of this and make it into a new layer. I can delete everything expect for the child's shirt(?). I can go to Image -> Hue and Saturation and then I can colorize this and change hue and saturation. This makes the shirt color. In a similar manner, I can colorize the child's face, the mother's face, her blouse, etc. Once I create all these color layers, I think I have a color picture.

What I'm wondering about now is if this is a standard way to give color to black and white pictures.

cre8ive, Feb 1, 2008 IP