1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Restoring Old Photo

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Karen615, Feb 14, 2008.

I have an old black & white photo that measures 2.5 x 3.5. I want to scan it and restore it using Photoshop. After I restore it, I want to enlarge it to an 8x10 photo. Is 300dpi sufficient or should I use a higher resolution. Also, should I save it as a .jpg or a .tiff. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank You, Karen
    :eek:

Karen615, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  2. cardon

cardon Peon

Best Answers:
    Since it's such a small photo why not scan at a higher resolution. I'd also recommend saving as a .tiff or .psd file so you can make adjustments resave and not loose any quality. For your purposes .jpg would be the wrong format to use. Once you have your tiff file you could then save a jpg copy to email to someone but for your working file you want tiff or photoshop's native psd.
    Good Luck,
    Craig

cardon, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  3. LittleJonSupportSite

LittleJonSupportSite Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to PM me the image after you scan it I can clean it up for you.

It does take some skill to get it right.

"Auto" this or that does not cut it for some images.

Are you looking to add color to it or just simply clean it?

LittleJonSupportSite, Feb 14, 2008 IP
  4. ~WAYNE~

~WAYNE~ Peon

Best Answers:
    on photoshop open the scanned image. Now if you go to image then adjustments go to both auto color and auto contrast. that should get it to the right colors as the original image. Also just try other things to get it perfect, and if you stuff it up you can just undo all that you have done.

~WAYNE~, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If it's an important photo, then forget about filesize, go nuts - scan it at the max resolution your scanner can cope with.

If you want to do it yourself, save it as a PSD, work on it using duplicate layers (in case you screw it up), then export it as TIFF or 100% JPEG when you're happy with the result. Always work on on the highest res image you can, then reduce the DPI (if you need to) when you're done. The DPI depends on where you're getting the final result printed - ask someone at the print shop for advice. 600 DPI should be enough for a decent 8x10.

If you want somebody here to clean it up for you, then upload the original scan (don't edit it at all!) as an 80-99% JPEG (or rar a TIFF). I'm sure one of us can find the time to tidy it up for you :)

Kerosene, Feb 15, 2008 IP