1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review my first layout

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Cypherus, Apr 25, 2007.

Hi there,

This is my first website I'm designing myself, So I need some advice from some pro's.

Site: http://reisedilla.no/

I don't want advice about the header and tab (meny on top), only the content itself. It's a norwegian travel related site, that is a work-in-progress.

Cypherus, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    The header is nice, however the text on the left is very distorted (did you do that? I would remove the distortion...) and also try making the main text a bit smaller with a glossy effect and the slogan text much smaller.

8everything, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  3. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    Like i said, the header isn't staying so I don't need reviews about it it (not yet at least) : )

The text on the page itself a bit smaller? Isn't it pretty small the way it is? Think about the old people with eyes :b

4. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha.. what is your target age group? I'm sure not a lot of them will be old ;)

Text looks fine! That's the standard size, any larger and it'll make the design of the layout unprofessional..

5. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a norwegian travel site, so I guess people from 16 to 60 will visit the site.. No special age-group, but I do belive that alot of old people use the internet to search for travel information?

6. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, quite the age range actually... well if you know, people can make the font sizes larger easily for themselves, if they can't really read the font on your site, they probably have their browser enlarge ALL of the fonts to every site since most sites use the same size font..

7. pedagangaff

pedagangaff Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite good for a beginner.the color combination is ok.the design and layout is ok.hmm..not much to comment coz everything is OK.

pedagangaff, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  8. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I wanna upgrade the color theme a bit! The boxes on the left, maybe I should change the color of the text to something else on some of the boxes?

9. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good one for beginner :) try lighter shade colours on left sidebar bg's , use diffrent colour for title "Destinasjon" "Tema" etc.. :) thats about it

asterix, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  10. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have any text colours in mind? I've tried everything, but can't find anything fitting that's still is readable :b

11. asterix

asterix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use the colours present in your site :) pick the colours that you will use on sidebar bg ( #ABD17B , #D45C2D )

asterix, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  12. groundctrl

groundctrl Peon

Best Answers:
    nice site! it's all good, except in the center column... the middle picture isn't laid out properly with the rest.

groundctrl, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  13. shaunclark

shaunclark Peon

Best Answers:
    You might want to make your css container width a little smaller than 950 pixels; several people are still using 800X600 resolution and your settings only work on 1024X768 or higher.

The website displays nicely in FireFox & Opera; the right side has collapsed in Internet Explorer.

shaunclark, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  14. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cypherus, what I can comment on is very brief - a great beginner design :) Not much to add really...About the colors of your boxes to the left, I think they match quite well your "aquatic" picture :D - it has the green, red, and blue in it, so I think the colors you've chosen are the right ones.:)

Flif, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  15. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys! I have of course been using HTML and CSS before, but I've never made the designs myself. I must so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

According to the statistics from a travelsite in a pretty similar niche, less than 6% of the users have less than 1024x768. This also includes mini-screens like mobilephones, PDA etc. I personally hate small sites, so I'm not gonna give those 6% that much loving this time :b

And yeah, I've noticed the site is screwed in IE. Right now I have more than enough making a good design, so validating and browsers comes after the design :]

Thanks for the tips guys!

Cypherus, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  16. blubird

blubird Peon

Best Answers:
    It's ok, but you need to change the header, colours are ok but you may have a bit too much of them. Keep at it!

Regards,
    Ken

blubird, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  17. Cypherus

Cypherus Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, like I said in the start - I don't want comments on the header. It was just something I put there to get a feeling of the design..

Cypherus, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  18. webhuge

webhuge Peon

Best Answers:
    i like it , good luck on your next creation

webhuge, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  19. Ma2Angelo

Ma2Angelo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is very solid, great for a first attempt. It's filled with content, that's what I like.

Ma2Angelo, Apr 28, 2007 IP
  20. mng026

mng026 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thinks it wonderful for your FIRST attempt. If the header is going, I would do something witht he page script. I hate having to scroll on sites....

mng026, Apr 28, 2007 IP