1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

RGB to CMYK

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by 8everything, Jul 27, 2007.

How do you successfully conver RGB to CMYK without changing the colors? I find that when I convert my RGB file, it looks much duller in CMYK code.. can you use bright colors in CMYK?

8everything, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  2. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll reply in a minute with the answer. I gotta restart my computer to be able to run photoshop cuz it wants to finalize updates.

Piggy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  3. mirturk

mirturk Active Member

Best Answers:
    mirturk, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  4. Piggy

Piggy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I really don't know. It looks like that webite that mirturk posted will help, hopefully. What is the use/function of the CMYK color functon?

Piggy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  5. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I did change the RGB to CMYK function, however the colors look different:

[​IMG]

(CMYK on the left, RGB on the right)

As you can see the CMYK is much less saturated :( apparently I can fix this by adding a custom CYMK (in photoshop edit > color settings) but then I don't know how to go on from there..

6. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    actually I guess the CMYK is for printing right?The real colours will showed up after you print that image..my lectures said that to me:D

I've used CMYK to print all my assignments and print works..no prob at all..but, why do you want that?RGB to CMYK?

reezluv, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  7. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it's for print. So what I see on my monitor will be what I see on print.

I should rephrase:
    I want to try to emulate the same color that I have in RBC to CMYK (make it a bit brighter and more vibrant) Is it possible?

8. reezluv

reezluv Active Member

Best Answers:
    owh..like that. you want to make it more brighter:p

I'm sorry, I think that's impossible..or maybe you should try asking the Adobe staff and support?:)

reezluv, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  9. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's somewhat possible by customizing the CMYK...

Hey :p I see prints outside that use bright colors!

Anyways, it's a bit too tedious so I might just go with silver instead of green...

8everything, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  10. migga

migga Banned

Best Answers:
    With CMYK what you see on screen is not what's going to print. CMYK scale is for printers not for monitors. It looks a little odd on screen because it is no longer in RGB mode. Just print the image and will be fine.

migga, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  11. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:

Really?

So if I convert RGB (what I see on the monitor) to CMYK. How it looks like on PRINT will look the same as how I see it in RGB?

8everything, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  12. sitefever

sitefever Banned

Best Answers:
    sitefever, Jul 28, 2007 IP
  13. amokk20us

amokk20us Peon

Best Answers:
    To get the fluro green color on print, you need to ask your printer to use special pantone colors, pantone colors cost a lot more to produce, then normal CMYK colors.

Your monitor can uses a combination of red green blue, where as printers use a overlays of Cyan Yellow Magenta Key(black) to product your prints.

amokk20us, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  14. mitcharr

mitcharr Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem, if i use an eyedropper to get the same color as something in CMYK its a different color than the actual thing.

mitcharr, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  15. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    This is because the monitor is sending light out at your eyes and a printed page is reflecting light off a page. So what makes up white and black are completely opposite: in lighted colours, all the colours (255) equal white, while in print, all colours together give you black (or, a really icky dark brownish ew, which is why there is also black (K) ink seperately).

Pantone colours are more to make sure that if you use one colour, you can find that exact colour again by looking up the Pantone number... yes Pantone is expensive because it's propriatary (owned).

You want to change the image into CMYK (like you did) to see what it looks like. There IS a list out there somewhere (but I dunno if you have to buy it) of comparable cymk colors (in numbers, if it's Pantone numbers you will pay) from rgb. There are some general rules which printers know, like that 100% blue on a screen ends up looking kinda purple on the page (see printed pages off websites with blue links... sometimes they look purple (visited)).

Whoever is printing for you may have such a list, with swatches, so that you can see what your colours will really look like on paper. Sometimes the type of paper will look like they change the intesity of the colour too. If you are printing, you need to print the main colours you are using and see how they appear on paper-- then you may see how you can "brighten" them.

Stomme poes, Aug 7, 2007 IP
    8everything likes this.