1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Saving new images without losing it's quality??

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by rewlie, May 30, 2006.

Hello there,

I work with photoshop and some other software, but I love photoshop more, what makes me think it's sucks is, when you save it as "Save for Web", even with 100% quality, it does not appear to have the 100% quality as said, well in my case, when i put the images on the web, it does not appear shining to me, very poor image quality, do you guys know where to fix it ?? Or did i miss something in the process ?? What i want is resizing/minimizing the images without losing it's quality, and also, with a small size, anyone ??

rewlie, May 30, 2006 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you talking about jpeg's? Everytime you edit and save a jpeg, you lose a little bit of quality because it does not use a lossless compression algorithm - however, there is always a tradeoff between quality and image size. When you save a jpeg, the smaller the file, the less data it contains and the quality is going to be affected. This is done to speed up page loading. "Save for web" tries to balance quality and speed.

It also depends on what the image is. If it is text, saving it as a gif might produce a better result. Depending on the version of Photoshop, you should use ImageReady and it will preview an image at various resolutions so you can choose which one works best for you.

mjewel, May 30, 2006 IP
  3. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it's jpeg,thanks, i will try ImageReady now, see how it works.

rewlie, May 30, 2006 IP
  4. meybaud35mm

meybaud35mm Peon

Best Answers:
    just to chime in. fireworks for example (not sure about photoshop) has a series of quality settings you can use and it also allows you to view via browser.

meybaud35mm, May 31, 2006 IP
  5. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks mate ;) , i'll give it a try

rewlie, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  6. Respiro

Respiro Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same problem, but with gif files. In Photoshop CS, when I save for web an image as gif, it seems that it loose it's quality. What should I do? Thanks!

Respiro, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  7. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why not just PNG, works better and that format was design for web.

rewlie, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  8. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As an active web designer, I tend to stay away from PNG files because 99% of the time they're bigger than GIF or JPG, sometimes even 3 times bigger.

Also, there's no need to use ImageReady to "preview" web files. To do it in Photoshop simply "Safe for Web", that brings up the preview window which also has all the settings you need to change to control quality vs. size.

sketch, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  9. Respiro

Respiro Peon

Best Answers:
    When I save an image in Photoshop with the "Save for web" option as gif file, I get an image which is a little bit unclear. What and how should I do? Thanks!

Respiro, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  10. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The only answer I can give is to play around with the settings you see there. There is no one way to save a file as it'll depend on what the image is, how wide and tall it is, how many colors, etc. Just play around with the settings, make sure you're in "optimized" or "2-up" window (at the top) and you'll see what your image will look like.

sketch, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  11. Respiro

Respiro Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your advices. I would say that I am not a beginner in the web design field, therefore I am surprised that Photoshop doesn't respond in this case as I would expect...

I already tried several options and their combinations, but when it comes to saving a file as gif [and to reduce it's kB size] I don't find the best solution.

Respiro, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  12. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What image are you trying to save? Some images won't work at all as GIFs, mainly photographs or drawings with lots of shading/texture. If you were having pixelation problems, your image may be too complex for a GIF. You'll need to export either a JPG or 24bit PNG (which most of the time will be 2 or 3 times bigger than the JPG)

sketch, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  13. Respiro

Respiro Peon

Best Answers:
    Last time I saved a psd file as jpg and as gif. With the jpg file there was no problem, but the gif was compromised. I had some images on it and a gradient background. That's all... :)

Thank you for your help!

Respiro, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  14. ECoverFX

ECoverFX Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I normally save my files as .jpg - and I always try to keep them under 100k. If I do see a loss in quality, I backup, try to maybe crop down the .psd file a bit (for instance sometimes I can crop the outside border in a bit more, or size the .psd down just a bit - then resave the graphic again into a .jpg.

In my experience, I don't use a lot of .gif's and think .jpg's work just as well, if not better than gif's - unless you're going for some kind of animation, or need a transparent background on the image.

Also, I've seen trouble with images on my websites from sticking an image into a table - where the settings "scrunch or expand" the graphic and make it look blurry online. Answer to that is to reset your table to make sure the graphic fits within the table cell nicely.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks,
    Michelle

ECoverFX, Jun 6, 2006 IP