1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Scanning negatives... anybody ever done it?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Seasidewriter, Feb 29, 2008.

Hi,

I am currently working on a book that will require many photographs. I am obtaining scans of photographs from an archive. Some of the images I would like to use are negatives that have not been printed.

I can get a scan for $1.00, but to develop photographs it will cost $5.00 per photo.

Question:: Without a piece of equipment made especially for scanning negatives, can you scan a negative and then use Adobe photoshop or something and just convert the image to a postive??

Thanks for any, and I mean any input.

Seasidewriter, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should be able to have them scan all of the negatives that you need and then save them on a disk or something for you, or email them to you... depending on what type of service you are using.
    Part of the $1 fee should include then turning the negative into a positive, and saving the resulting image. ask them though.

If you are creating a book, you wouldn't need to take the extra step of having photos printed and then scanning those pics again to place in your book.

If for some reason they scan the negatives and the files they give you are still negative (very unlikely) here is a tutorial for turning a negative into a positive. http://www.computer-darkroom.com/tutorials/tutorial_6_1.htm

eruct, Feb 29, 2008 IP
    Seasidewriter likes this.
  3. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to scan negs on a daily basis. The scanner's software would work like a plug-in to photoshop (file --> import). This would bring up a window where we could select whether we were scanning a negative or positive transparency and whether we wanted to produce a positive or negative (along with other settings... such as DPI).

From there the scanned image would show right up in photoshop and we could save this file anyway we wanted. Years ago... we would save our images as CMYK's for printing purposes.

I still have a professional Nikon film scanner (somewhere around here) if you want some help with this project and maybe save a few dollars. (I am in Pennsylvania).

scoopy82, Mar 1, 2008 IP
    Seasidewriter likes this.
  4. Seasidewriter

Seasidewriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks to the both of you. Rep points added.

I visited the archive today and we tried scanning a negative and inverting and it worked! The publisher I'm working with says to just send the scans to them and they will clean them up. I appreciate your taking the time out to assist!

Seasidewriter, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  5. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Just make sure you scan them at the highest resolution you have available to you. Control-i(invert) is indeed the best way of doing it I know :)

One thing I'd like to point out is the easiest way to adjust the image is with the levels tool.

Well, I can only wonder what you might be scanning, both of my sisters have had jobs archiving material for museums, sounds very interetsting to me, I hope you enjoy it :)

best of luck, innovati!

innovati, Mar 4, 2008 IP