1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Seeking Advice on Business Ideas

Discussion in 'General Business' started by hallwriting, May 23, 2010.

So I've recently got into the "make money online" game. I've practically lived in the Internet since I was younger, and I'm enjoying my current strategy of using writing to make money. I'm experimenting with sites that have profit sharing on ad revenue and setting up on blogger. However, it makes the most sense to establish a personal site as my first "bigger money making attempt." I'm not expecting to become rich. Long term, I'd love to make a living online, but my current strategy is make more money than the previous month, every month.

Idea 1: Website on Philosophy/Politics

My interests are varied, but I'm particularly interested in philosophy and political theory, but I wonder how practical those are at generating revenue and interest? I also tend to have unusual opinions which further limits things. I do love offending people, if that helps me.

Should I utilize Wordpress or something else? I haven't done web-design in years, but I can pick up most things quickly so I could code the site myself. I'd rather start with a basic but improvable idea if I do that.

Idea 2:

I've noticed lately that people hate spending money, but they love "free things." The iPhone applications that upgrade regularly - usually with insignificant upgrades - tend to be extremely popular. Although short-term game coding is not something I'm interested in looking at, I am wondering about the e-book market, particularly as it pertains to coding "Choose Your Own Adventure Books." Is there a way to incorporate that style of book in the context of most e-book selling platforms?

Idea 3:

I've noticed StumbleUpon users eat up pictures of cute, funny, or offense things. I'm not the best artist, but I can improve. I have pictures of my dogs that are high-quality. Should I just post these on a random blog for additional income, or is it pointless?

Idea 4:

This site worries me because I'm not a legal expert. The site would have a name something like "lookatstupid." Better than that. Whenever I see someone say something really idiotic (which is all the time, so I wouldn't need to research for it), I would quote them, link where they said it, and explain mockingly why they are so incredibly foolish. Juvenile, but it would be mildly entertaining to me.

Also, I have like ideas all over the house, computer, phone. Half of them are probably terrible, but I have too many ideas to implement at once. Is there a method where I can let people invest in my ideas "if they choose" using some sort of site? I'd rather not give up the rights.

hallwriting, May 23, 2010 IP
  2. steelhead

steelhead Peon

Best Answers:
    If you could focus on just one idea, post in this forum and let the wonks offer up suggestions to round out your vision. As it is, you don't seem to have any one thing in mind. There are many, many, many ways to make money online but you have to do one before you can do two.

It is a big world 24/7. No matter how crazy you might think an idea is; if you have more money than time, run the idea up the proverbial flag pole and see if anyone salutes.

-Steve

steelhead, May 25, 2010 IP
  3. gjuro

gjuro Member

Best Answers:
    Stick to one idea and DO IT!

If not work do it again with second idea.

I like number 4. Although there are lot of web sites like that it will be nice to have another one.

gjuro, May 26, 2010 IP
  4. ruby.mein

ruby.mein Peon

Best Answers:
    List of business ideas:

http://www.ahbbo.com/ideas.html
    http://www.howtostartup.com/creative-business-ideas/
    Code (markup):

ruby.mein, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  5. pankajgirotra

pankajgirotra Peon

Best Answers:
    to me the 2nd one is the best one.
    People really love free stuff ;)

pankajgirotra, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  6. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    IMO,idea 2 is the best among 3.

Noone will invested in your idea.

My advise for you is only develop 1 site at each time.

mentos, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  7. Le Dangles

Le Dangles Member

Best Answers:
    definitely option #2 !!! I bet if you do your research, put in the time and effort you can make some good coin making an iPhone app e-book. good luck with your adventure.

Also your stumbleupon idea aint too bad. It wouldn't take very much effort at all and you probably can make some easy ad revenue by just throwing some pics up. Get a nice blog, put up some cute pictures, submit them to SU and Reddit and any other similar sites and hopefully you can make a quick buck. The stumble upon idea wont make you a lot of money by any means but it would be basically free to try and experiment with and would take basically no time at all. I think you could juggle 2 projects at once!

Le Dangles, Jun 11, 2010 IP