1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Selling turnkey websites, why so cheap?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by FarrisFahad, Aug 31, 2013.

Hi, I am a web developer. I have stumbled upon the market (Flippa) and saw turnkey websites sold for less than $50. I don't know why are they so cheap and how can someone profit from this?. I would like to build a website (Unique website) and sell it but $50 seam so cheap. So I have come up with another business, selling templates. I figured if I build a website where I post templates for buyouts for like $1000 each or more. Do you think it is a good idea or should I sell for less like $500, because I can't go below $500 it just so cheap. So what do you think I should do from your experience ... Should I sell templates (buyouts only) or should I sell turnkey websites on flippa. Because I would love to start making money online but I just don't know how ...
    From your experience what should I do?

FarrisFahad, Aug 31, 2013 IP
  2. FarrisFahad

FarrisFahad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Come on guys, what do you think?

FarrisFahad, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  3. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you sure that the $50 was not just the current bid?

Helge Sverre, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  4. Dionne Taylor

Dionne Taylor Active Member

Best Answers:
    It takes like an hour to churn out those turn key websites. That is why they are so cheap

Dionne Taylor, Sep 2, 2013 IP
  5. VukasinI

VukasinI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are cheap because they are not unique sites, there are at least 10K of them. But you can make money with them. Everything depends about ideas, methods and how you are going to drive traffic to such site. For sure, it won't be organic.

VukasinI, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  6. amiluvu

amiluvu Active Member

Best Answers:
    The main problem with most turnkey sites is that they DON'T come with SEO. They don't even come built on a suitably selected aged domain, with a bit of traffic and backlinks. You're a beginner, you suddenly own a site, you have yet to figure out how the affiliate codes in the ads should be changed so that you get the money, and nobody mentioned that you need to get traffic ...

Your "starter" site has a domain and hosting. The hosting can be 90% cheaper, in most cases - but the vendors rely on novice cluelessness to be able to charge their rate for hosting. They aren't usually the cheapest for domain hosting, either.

There's only one sensible reason for buying a turnkey site that I know - it can get you approval into an affiliate network that has previously rejected your application.

There were two people building turnkey sites that I could have recommended pre-panda - but they were building thin aff sites, and the panda doesn't like aff sites at all. Now there's nobody I like the look of

amiluvu, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  7. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Turnkey sites are basically purpose built sites that are semi-unique. By Semi-Unique, I mean sites that are pretty much cookie-cutter. As a result, you get a functional website that can serve a specific purpose. Because these can be spit out so quickly, they are pretty cheap. Basically the same price as a Wordpress theme.

D_C, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  8. giulio_74

giulio_74 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    I think it all depends on the simple law of market bid vs demand .

giulio_74, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  9. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I think there is more to it than that. When you have overseas developers, they tend to think that $50.00 is much more than we think of it here in the states. However, with that said, I think as a web developer (such as myself) you have to sell based on other options you can offer. For example, the custom designs or the customer service you offer can potentially be worth much more to a client than simply a good website. If you can make it easy for them and give them exactly what they are looking for, they not only will come back for future work, but probably refer others to you.

My recommendation is to stay local if you can for now or find a specific niche for yourself. I've seen others do well when they marketed directly to a certain business type.

PHPGator, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  10. artofmarketing

artofmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There's a whole lot of people that do nothing else but flipping websites and that is how they make money... A simple affiliate website is something you can do in 2h from scratch and these are the one's selling for around $200. If you can make and sell 5 of these a day it is a preety good deal, right? :)

artofmarketing, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  11. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Things are sold quick when they are cheap. When things are expensive peope think twice and take couple of days to purchase. Even if you want to move into templates business try to sell at themeforest.net they sell for cheap but sold in mass.

imranamen6, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  12. elektroarena

elektroarena Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are based in a low-cost country the youn could live a couple of days on 50$

elektroarena, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  13. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Let us say i sell two $50 scripts and earn $100 a day. And you sell something for $700 people will think before they going to invest $700 in something but they will never think about $50 much.

imranamen6, Sep 21, 2013 IP