1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Serving Dynamic Pages from a CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Anduril66, Jan 25, 2007.

Is there a Content Management system or CMS module that can serve dynamic pages?
    For example if I was making a Song website I was thinking of creating a database with this table (the names are fields in the table):
    SONG ID|SONG NAME|BAND ID|LYRICS|DESCRIPTION
    and use the band id as a key in another table to grab the band name and bio
    BAND ID|BAND NAME|BAND BIOGRAPHY
    and then dynamically creating pages from the database

I have used Drupal a little bit and I have read about Joomla, but as far as I know, when you create a page in Drupal you enter a flat page and it puts that page into its database. I would like to use a CMS that will help me dynamically generate pages using a template, so I only have to add content to the database instead of formatting each page. Is there a drupal modification or other CMS available for this, or should I attempt to code from scratch?

Thanks.
    Daniel

Anduril66, Jan 25, 2007 IP
  2. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure would be a useful tool. Haven't seen it. I've bought a few databases lately and haven't had time to work with them. A sort of CMS for databases would be pretty nifty. I vaguely recall maybe OScommerce being able to import databases...some mod for xml feeds... Maybe you could use something like that?

jazzylee77, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  3. TwistMyArm

TwistMyArm Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla, for example, would do this via a component (can't remember what Drupal calls it).

But yeah, any CMS worth anything will do this... you would just have to code it up (essentially a 'mini-program' that runs within the CMS).

TwistMyArm, Jan 26, 2007 IP
  4. Anduril66

Anduril66 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok thanks very much for your help.

I then asked this question on the Drupal.org forums.
    In Drupal, you can create your own node type. Also, if you don't want to write your own code you can use the Content Construction Kit module to input the data and the Views module to display the data.

Anduril66, Jan 26, 2007 IP