1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should i outsource?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Alifk, Jun 9, 2014.

Is it always better to outsource or to take the time to learn how to do the task yourself. I have had horrible luck working with freelance programmers and companies on my projects and think if i take the time to learn the language its less of a headache

Alifk, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  2. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    haha did you just answer yourself?

There are legitimate freelancers out there who are responsible and professional. You might want to screen or do a trial first before getting them on board.

Ethan Alvin, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    different people have different philosophy. Many times, it is better to outsource the parts you cant do well, so that you can focus on what you do well -> this does assume that you do something really well. Such as, if you are a coder and suck at art, hire an artist to do all your designs, psds, and focus on what you do well.

If you are kinda not really doing anything well... then its better to take the time to start learning.

matt_62, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  4. Marianne Thompson

Marianne Thompson Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on whether you enjoy communicating with people and delegating tasks to them :)
    I would go with outsourcing if I have time to search for qualified freelancers and establishing contact with them. Just use trusted sources.
    If I have a limited time frame, I would rather do the task myself, as I can manage my time according to my needs and priorities.
    But indeed, it seems that you've answered your question yourself :)

Marianne Thompson, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  5. Nicolas1s6

Nicolas1s6 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "Delegate all you can delegate "... in fact if you don't have the required skills, it's better to hire a freelancer, however, it's better to do it yourself but it's required long learning and practice....

Conlcusion: if you like to do it, do it (and learn if you need)

Nicolas1s6, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  6. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even if you do hire some freelancers for harder tasks, this doesn't mean that you can't spend some time learning new things in the process. With time you will learn more and more in areas that you were previously not so skilled and so you will feel less and less need to delegate tasks to an outside source. Talk about killing two birds with one stone, eh ;)

Rado_ch, Jun 9, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I have learned a lot from consultants and other experts that I have hired over the years. The key, as many above have said, is to find good people and stick with them, whenever possible. And have those good people refer you to other such folks when you need different skills. Now, what I have learned from them is probably just enough to do some real damage, but at least I know what to ask for, how it should be done, etc.

jrbiz, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  8. vitorassuena

vitorassuena Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's not less headache, that's for sure! I think it is nice to know a lot about the process of your outsources, but that's exactly what you're paying them for: the convenience. You just have to place an order and, a little time later, pay the man for his service.

So sure, learn all you can about everything you can, but leave the hard work for the others :)

vitorassuena, Jun 9, 2014 IP
  9. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    outsourcing is great, as well as creating a virtual team of programmers or designers. In the next years this kind of social working will become quite normal for any business and not for an internet business only.

10. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have a talent of picking the wrong people. Maybe you should learn from your mistake and employ a different kind of people, and maybe not the cheapest , as cheapest will cost you more. As for you learning to program ... i wouldn`t do that unless i have nothiing to do. It`s like learning to be an electrician to fix your smartphone :p

webcosmo, Jun 9, 2014 IP
    Marianne Thompson likes this.
  11. neest321

neest321 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should always keep the core competency and outsource the rest if you can. But for technology, I will advice you to learn it first as it will help you in long run.

neest321, Jun 10, 2014 IP
  12. Z3netico

Z3netico Peon

Best Answers:
    It is more efficient to outsource your work so you have time to do other things and get more done. Although I guess it doesn't hurt to learn the desired skills on the side.

Now as for your issue with selecting bad freelancers, you should probably do some research before making your request.

Z3netico, Jan 8, 2016 IP
  13. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are so many problems here..... First off, time IS money if you are working with A. limited time or B. with deadlines. If you have neither A or B then you can save a LOT of money by learning programming. But DO take note that if you have never programmed before the road to learning how to effectively program is a LONG tedious road. If time is important and money isn't a huge factor then your best option is to deligate by hiring a professional. With that said.. their vision will always be different than yours. It is up to you to effectively comminicate and illustrate your expectations and to set up a timeline that allows for final changes to get close to what you seek.

NetStar, Jan 14, 2016 IP