1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I register as a business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Vcize, Sep 20, 2010.

This is my first year in internet marketing, so I still haven't been through a tax season with all this web stuff I've done.

All this internet marketing stuff is just a side-job/hobby for me. I work full-time. However, unlike my ebay side-business, it adsense, cj, amazon, require tax information when making payments.

By the end of this year, I'll probably end up being taxed on about $7k-$10k worth of income. Of course, with that I've spent plenty of money on domain registration, hosting, buying websites, buying marketing products, etc.

So, do you guys go through the effort of registering an official business for your internet marketing so you can write this stuff off? If so, what is your annual income/expenditures from this hobby/business?

Or, is there another (potentially better?) way to handle the net profit vs. gross revenue of your IM income when doing your taxes?

Vcize, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  2. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, its different for many people but for the most part not many people register a business name for the Gov't for their online revenue. Google taxes you fully on the cheques you receive and since paypal is under the grid for tax it gives most people a chance to just stay out of the Bus. thing. If you are making more than 2000 per month it is recommended that you register a business license or you may be indicted as you are cashing huge cheques to your bank. Als keep in mind that you will need to track monthly income and expenses just like anyone else and may need to hire an accountant.

Personally, they can blow...because I already own a retail store and throw down a good 8,000 per year along with my property tax which is close to about $3000/per year, etc. I'm in Canada and the tax is unbelievable out here. People usually give up 60% of their earnings to tax once the money is gone with all of the junk here.

Laceygirl, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  3. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you better register your business if not you will very troublesome in the future.

I not recommend you do something to avoid tax although I know the way to do it.

mentos, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't mention which country you are in..... If you were in the UK you would have already committed an offence by not registering as self employed and would be liable for a fine.

In most countries you have options in terms of the legal entity structure of your business (sole trader, limited liability company etc) and an accountant would be able to advise you which is the most efficient given your circumstances and plans.

AstarothSolutions, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  5. jeffwalton

jeffwalton Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure where you are... In the US you should at least file for an EIN number. You also should expect a self employment taxt which will be added to your filing, and if not done correctly will catch up to you in the long run. Just make sure you do the research and understand the process as best you can. Best of luck.

jeffwalton, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  6. notepage

notepage Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. It becomes very difficult to "untangle" the finances after the fact. Your best bet is to do it earlier rather than later.

notepage, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  7. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    You don't need an EIN if you are a sole proprietor or even if you are a single member LLC with no employees. See: Does My Single Member LLC Need Its Own EIN?

At least in the U.S., when you ask about "registering an official business," you are really asking several questions. Do you need to "register" with the IRS (i.e., obtain an EIN); do you need to register with your state's secretary of state (or equivalent office); do you need to register with your state's department of revenue; do you need to file somewhere to comply with your state's assumed name statute; do you need to obtain a business licenses, usually from your city or county? The answer to all those is "it depends."

Even if you are a sole proprietor doing business under your own name (not a dba) and have no need to file anything to "register as an official business," you will still need to record your revenues and expenses and report them at tax filing time. If the income from your "hobby" exceeds the related expenses, you will owe both income and self employment taxes. Failing to plan for those may leave you short on April 15 and may result in penalties for failing to pay estimated taxes during the year.

Hope this helps.

Business Attorney, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  8. theseoguys

theseoguys Member

Best Answers:
    Always be above board with the tax man. The time and money you will spend if you are not, will far out weigh any time you put in, and money you make.

theseoguys, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  9. click.burner

click.burner Peon

Best Answers:
    yup..don't be shy my honey

click.burner, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  10. CheapSEO

CheapSEO Guest

Best Answers:
    Why not, if we earn then we should register and pay tax so our country will develop.

CheapSEO, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  11. Tom_Lee

Tom_Lee Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes sure .Its good way to earn money .

Tom_Lee, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  12. BUSINESSTOOL

BUSINESSTOOL Peon

Best Answers:
    If possible use a separate credit card for all your business expenses, this helps in record keeping, and most credit card companies send you a year end summary that categorizes all your business expenses.

Unfortunately, you will get hit with the nasty self employment tax, so remember to file schedule SE as well as your 1040 when preparing your taxes. Lastly, when filing out form 1040, you can deduct half of your SE tax.

BUSINESSTOOL, Oct 15, 2010 IP