1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I shut down my website

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mrweb, Apr 14, 2014.

1. cowboy1015

cowboy1015 Member

Best Answers:
    First. Your site looks like a wedding blog to me. So you have a "User Experience" problem. The site is not well designed for what your real business purpose.

Second. You got a lot of big competition. Youtube streams live. UStream. Apple FaceTime :).... I don't think this business is gonna succeed. 3 years passed and almost no traffic... I think that said it.

But I think what you can do is make it a wedding blog as it looks now. Then put some ads there. Maybe put a directory of photographer / videographers... add forms where people can put reviews. But make it better than other reviews site like Yelp. Otherwise, there's no point to create it if your system is just so-so.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    cowboy1015, Apr 15, 2014 IP
  2. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    I think you could make money because this is a very lucrative field. However, it's also a very competitive one. As it stands now, it sounds more like a hobby site. Not saying you can't make money from a hobby site, but you're going to have to work hard to come up with a unique spin that will send people sharing viral videos!

Alyssa Lochmore, Apr 15, 2014 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure that your approach needs to be "either/or". You have this site developed and running. Spend 50% of your time promoting it via the various ways mentioned above (social media, etc.) Then spend the other 50% of your time on new projects that key off of what you have learned with this first project. And keep this quote in mind at all times:

A successful entrepreneur is someone who:

Is stubborn enough...
    To stick around long enough...
    To get lucky

Now, that does not mean that you stick with your first project; rather, it means that you keep trying until you find a business approach that works for you.

jrbiz, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  4. Jennifer O'Leary

Jennifer O'Leary Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a firm believer in Quicksprout University. Get on and read all the content on the Quicksprout blog, join that forum, join Quicksprout U and dive deep into those video trainings, and read every guide you can. Spread it out, there is plenty of material to go around. But start putting those items into action and give it another little bit.

Jennifer O'Leary, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  5. nixande

nixande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even after clicking around quite a bit, i have no understanding how much this is going to cost, not even a rough idea.
    Nor did I find the blog with the content. I assume the analytics show super high bounce rates and non returning visitors.
    No clear customer persona - is this for the couple, for the videographer, for?

In times of google hangout live on air, your restrictions are too limiting - and if I do it as a GHOA I also have a recording afterwards for free.

I would suggest making the front page two ways - one part maybe a report / guide "how to live tape / air your wedding" which you give away for a small amount in order for upselling and then a second part with your solution. Long term you should phase that out and go with external solutions like Youtube / hidden private sharing etc because you cannot compete with their numbers.

As for your blog content - why should anybody read and interact with generic blog postings? Which cannot even be accessed properly (the design is bad for user experience to reading the blog).

Seeing the number on Facebook likes about 10K shows interest. If at all, revamp it to something only to the topic of streaming, remove the other content or phase it out and then make something for the topic.

nixande, Apr 18, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.