1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I use a CMS or script or both?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by powwka, Dec 18, 2006.

I think I'm going to start a gaming site but I'm not sure what I should use for it. I was thinking of using Joomla because it would be easier to make sitewide changes (correct me if I'm wrong). But I would like people to be able to rate and review games, and post hints, cheats, etc. I'm assuming they would have to register to do that stuff, so it would be nice if they only had to create one account and they could use it for the site and also the forum. Now can that be done with just a CMS or will I need some sort of script?(obviously I will need forum software, but I'm talking about the other stuff)

So if you understand what I'm looking for, please help! :p

powwka, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  2. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know much about Joomla, but Drupal has integrated-forums.

Tearabite, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  3. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    I was hoping I could use vBulletin because I really like how they look.

powwka, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  4. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can begin with the forum - vBulliten if you like.

Take their login system and then just create other areas of your site that test for login the same way that vBulliten does.

You won't really get a nice easy way around your problem unless you looking to pay for some coders to do it for you.

I recommend starting with the login syste though (and why not use the forum's login system and avoid reinventing the wheel)

Then...just build each site feature around that login.

grobar, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  5. powwka

powwka Peon

Best Answers:
    How much do you think that would cost?

powwka, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All you have to do is add the same username and password in joomla or whatever CMS you will use, when people register at forum, and vice versa...

Alternatively, Create a login form which checks your user database, and sets "both" type of variables as used by forum and CMS.
    Example if forum login sets a cookie, and CMS sets a session id, this new login page will set both, so when people login, they can access both forum and CMS protected features...
    Bye :)

JEET, Dec 18, 2006 IP