1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Simple Image Rezize linking to actual image.

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by addaminsane, Jan 18, 2008.

I have a novice question relating to image loading time when resized.

What I want to do is display the actual image file (which may be large) in a content item, but resized, linking to the actual image in a different window.

My question is - Will the resized image (scaled down) in the content item take just as long to load as the actual image.

for example, i have a 161kb image thats like 800x600 pixels in actual size. If I put it in the content item and scale it down to 200x175 will it load faster in the content item? Thanks for the Info.

addaminsane, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  2. Anduril66

Anduril66 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, the browser will still have to load the whole photo before scaling it down so it will not be faster. I think you have to resize the photos in a graphics program and save the thumbnails if you want it to load fast. You can make the thumbnails as a batch using Photoshop (and possibly other programs).

Anduril66, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  3. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    God yes, please don't just rezise the image using HTML - I hate seeing sites do that. As well as making the page take ages to load if you have a few of them, it also distorts the image so it looks kind of blurred. It's always better to make separate thumbnails for each image, some image gallery software actually makes the thumbnails for you when you upload images, so there might be a way to do that with PHP if you make some kind of uploader. Or just do it manually if there aren't too many of them. :)

Astroman, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  4. addaminsane

addaminsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats what i figured. I run joomla, and none of their image gallery solutions are adequate for what i want right now so i'm trying to just make images in the article plugin for the sake of organization and seo. How do you make batch thumbnails with photoshop? That would be pretty handy.

addaminsane, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  5. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure, I'm more of a Fireworks person, you can do hundreds in moments this way though with Fireworks. I'm sure Photoshop probably does the same thing. If you have Fireworks I can tell you how to do it with that?

Astroman, Jan 19, 2008 IP