1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Since when has this been acceptable?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by adamgt, Jun 13, 2010.

In the modern age of Internet communication, we as an end user expect the best service possible, whether the service is free to use or not, it is us that make these social networks successful, so why does twitter think it is acceptable to have messages like

'twitter is over capacity'
    'oops something went wrong there'

the first being the most important issue, if your servers can't handle the traffic, then its time to upgrade. I wouldn't mind if it was once in a blue moon, but it happens on a regular basis. 4 times this week alone.

What is your opinion, should twitter buck it's ideas up?

What if facebook had the same problem, would that be acceptable?

adamgt, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  2. QuackWare

QuackWare Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook has done this to me many times as well. With millions of simultaneous users doing billions of different actions there is going to be some unpredictability and something is eventually going to go wrong. Deal with it.

QuackWare, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  3. Credit Hammer

Credit Hammer Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think they anticipated the vial growth of their medium---there is bound to be some issues.

Credit Hammer, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  4. CIKMarketing

CIKMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a good question. I do think Twitter needs to fix their issues, although I would wager a guess that they're already working on it. All it does is encourage users, such as yourself, and me on occasion, to quickly surf away from Twitter. Although the "Fail Whale" has grown in cultural noteriety, I don't think it's something a business should aspire to being known for...failure.

CIKMarketing, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  5. adamgt

adamgt Guest

Best Answers:
    Good point, I f it was something that was minor and happened once in a blue moon, many users simply wouldn't care, but as I said it keeps on happening more than once a week, on an even bigger scale can you imagine what would happen if google suddenly said 'sorry our search engine is over capacity, try again later' it just shouldn't happen, despite what quackware says, a website should be able to handle billions of interactions without regular issues like that, just hope they sort the issue soon.

adamgt, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  6. bk871

bk871 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Having a high traffic period at peak hours is something to expect with any website, thus causing downtime.

Maybe Twitter should introduce a paid system, for users to pay $1~ per month for "premium" access to a server that's under-loaded.

bk871, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  7. SkullTraill

SkullTraill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, YOU have no right to say that. Just because twitter put up a site, doesn't mean its obliged to keep it up. If you want better quality service, you a free to leave them and find some other service. They have all the rights to take down their servers due to large traffic, why? Because its their god damned server after all, isn't it!?

SkullTraill, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  8. MixedBag

MixedBag Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think everyones missed the point. Yes it is twitters site and is free but for a huge company/site - like facebook and google - they do need to buck their ideas up. I can get that message five times a day, nevermind a week. If the site wasnt so big do you think users would keep going back? And just because they are a big site does NOT mean they can get away with it. If facebook can handle the numbers, twitter needs to!

MixedBag, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  9. DPExpert

DPExpert Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the fail whale does appear more often than it needs to and Twitter should get better servers. You have to realize that handling so much volume and processes will cost a whole lot... Once they find a better monetization method, they should have no problem moving to a better server. They also have to be careful about the move because they don't want to have too much downtime or lose any members along the way...

DPExpert, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  10. bk871

bk871 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All it takes is a simple refresh, and voila!

No need to complain about a completely free service. If you don't want to use it, don't use it.

bk871, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  11. MixedBag

MixedBag Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I was refreshing it for 5 minutes yesterday before it worked, I don't call that acceptable. Maybe I won't use it. Maybe everyone who gets that message more than once a day stops using it. Then Twitter will have less and less people using it, so really, for a site that deals with that volume of people, it isn't acceptable. As someone said.....what happens if Google says "Sorry, Google is over capacity". People will use Yahoo or Bing. Twitter says it, do we go back to Facebook?

Put it this way, I like Twitter I do but, with these errors, more than once in a blue moon, soon I'll stop taking Twitter seriously! And if that's how I feel - and I don't use it that often, so when I do and get that message, it's even more annoying, how do the people who use it more feel, or the ones who use it even less. Someone who decides to give Twitter a go for the first time..."Sorry over capacity", do you think they'll come back? They're harming their business, it's as simple as that. My partner's only been back to Twitter twice in the past few months since not being able to change the profile theme, and not being able to Tweet.

MixedBag, Jun 15, 2010 IP