1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Creation Business advice

Discussion in 'General Business' started by trebouldaz, Jan 16, 2014.

I am interested in creating a site and have little knowledge on the the topic. I have an idea for a website that could possibly become to a extremely hot place on the internet if gets into the right hands. I am looking for people who may be interested in a website creation project, more so from a free generative perspective as opposed to a project built off of funds as have little funds to invest. What I am asking for is any advice such as websites, forums or emails where I might be able to get in touch with people who might be interested in a project like this. Thank you ahead of time for any responses to this thread.

trebouldaz, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  2. content4cool

content4cool Member

Best Answers:
    First you see a beautiful women then
    you talk to her then
    you get her phone number then
    you call her then
    you go on first date then
    you go on second date then
    you go on third date then
    maybe just maybe she becomes your girlfriend then...

This is how you build great relationships.
    Same for business but without sex.

content4cool, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  3. RobinInTexas

RobinInTexas Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have little knowledge on the subject, you might start by finding someone knowledgeable on the subject and interest them in your idea.
    Try this search on Google and https://www.google.com/search?num=10&espv=210&es_sm=122&q=forum search
    Use one or two of those results to find a forum devoted to the niche. Sign up there and lurk, post a little and dig out a likely mentor or partner.

RobinInTexas, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have no money. You have no experience in websites. So what do you have to contribute or pay someone for the work you want ?

An idea ? Ideas are competently worthless. everyone has them. If your ideas were worth money you would have money. You don't.

So you want free work ? = FAIL

Advice- Get some money and buy a website or hire someone to do the work you want.

averyz, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  5. trebouldaz

trebouldaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hello thank you for your responses. content4cool and RobinIn Texas I will try the ideas that you have given me out. Averyz in my response I wasn't necessarily looking for people for hire but a group who might possibly be interested in a group project based upon free production. The project is one that upon successful completion, could create great compensation for those that are involved if the right work is done, and it in turn creates a great web presence as I feel it should. As for my experience I would be just as hands on as anyone else would be on the project wherever my experience would allow me to, whether it be helping with the programming of the project, helping attract visitors through Seo, managing all of the projects goals etc. There are many ways one can be useful in making sure a project reaches succession without one being seen as just somebody who is looking for workers. I am aware that I could hire people and pay for a website to be created but that is not necessarily my goal. What I am trying to do is run an idea across to people who have knowledge in different areas of website production, that might be interested in getting involved upon hearing the details for their own reasons. For example a few might get involved because they see a lucrative opportunity in investing their time and and effort into the creation, where as some others might see a good education or entertainment value and decide to get involved because of that. I'm thinking more so in terms of a group project as opposed to work and a website. Something that would have marital value in some form or another to all those involved.

trebouldaz, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wish you the best, I really do. I spent about a year trying to do this for one of my first sites. In my case, everyone in our community wanted to develop *stuff* (well, its like webapps but lets just call it stuff) but they couldnt afford the costs for servers and hosting etc, and I had my own unique ideas for my own *stuff* that everyone supported. So the idea was, I would cover all hosting costs, they could develop all the *stuff* they wanted for the community.... so with heaps of people guaranteeing support. Not one of them did anything.
    It worked out cheaper to hire people, then it was to rely on 'volunteers'. It was just surprising, I mean, I had an inbox full of people promising me support, as they all wanted to develop their own ideas for them to use, and host it online for the benefit of everyone. BUT you cannot rely on volunteers.

But even with money, trying to find skilled, hard working programmers that you can rely on is a challenge in itself! I have never had a programmer deliver a job within the deadline that they gave me for the project to be finished. Nearly everyone has been months late, and for some, the delays have cost me more then the project was worth.

Now, you are going to have these same problems, especially asking one to work for free. If someone has to push aside $2k of paid work to take on your free project for just 1 week....then they are really giving you (or investing into the project) $2000 cash (if you get what I mean) -> if you are doing a partnership, I feel that you need to bring more to the table then the idea on its own (seo is not enough either). It is not just that, many times I have seen good ideas just flop. They do not take off. I have seen people spend $15k on sites that flopped (excluding ads, hosting, and all other expenses). And I think this is why most people that develop the site would prefer to be paid outright, rather then *hoping* for eventual income.

One thing that concerns me when I hire people, is the worry that people will pull a facebook on you. That is, develop the site for you, then refuse to give it to you and run it themselves. I think the last android developer I hired has pulled a facebook on me as well!

I think there is 2 sites though that you might benefit from. There is gofundme as well as kickstarter. Perhaps people might support you so that you can have it developed. I know that you want to find passionate people that back the idea, and I wish i could find these for my projects, but having more funds will be critical for covering hardware and running costs, ensuring money for ad campaigns and so on.

The other place to look for people,is here on Digitalpoint in the partnership forum. I think you will need to be a premium member though (or wait until you have 3 likes and are considered to be an established forum member). But you do need to be clear about what you are offering, and what people can expect from you long term.

One thing though is, what is the difference between you looking for people to create a project, and someone looking for a free website? Partnerships do end, some partners just vanish, or sometimes the cost to keep the project running is too high so you give up, but if a developer has spent 1 month on it, that $8k cash that they will never see again. So you have to ask, how you will prove that you are legit, and in it for the long haul.

matt_62, Jan 16, 2014 IP
    makeit easy and Nigel Lew like this.
  7. Amarkolom

Amarkolom Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have interest on website creation and i am doing this kind of project for me , so i hope i can help you on your business.

Amarkolom, Jan 17, 2014 IP
  8. trebouldaz

trebouldaz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    matt_62 thank you for all the information as it gives me an idea of what waters I am treading in when it comes to project creation I may as well have to try a paid approach if I would like to see this goal succed. Amarkolom thank you for showing interest, but I will have to decline your invitation as I am not receiving much backing for the idea as of now, and do not want to hold you up. Although, if you would like to keep in touch in order to trade ideas and network, I'd be happy to trade emails with you.

trebouldaz, Jan 19, 2014 IP