1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sizing of Images

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by guruguy, Jan 21, 2008.

I am using photos and small logos in web pages, and it seems that all images I create are exceptionally large. i.e. a 500x200 gif takes around 40kb. Does this sound right, and can anyone share any tips to reduce image size? Also, what is now considered a reasonable size for a web page, including all images? Sorry for all the questions but I don't have much knowledge in dealing with graphics.

guruguy, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    40kb is absolutely fine. If it's a logo or header image, then I'll generally go with quality over filesize, you don't want your site to look crap because of highly 'optimized' graphics. I try and keep my pages to under 200kb, but I'm not too fussed if they go over.

Screw anyone on dialup. It's 2008 :D

Kerosene, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  3. guruguy

guruguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks for that. I would have thought that 200kb would be a bit much, but obviously not. The average size of some portions of my site are are looking around the 200-250 mark, and I was just getting a bit concerned.

guruguy, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  4. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that 40kb for a header is not bad. I think a 250kb page may be a little large.

Do you know how to optimize the other images on the page? Saving them at 70-80% will not reduce the quality at all for most images.

Colbyt, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  5. guruguy

guruguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    In photoshop, I know how to change the quality of jpegs, but I haven't quite worked it out for gifs. Any help would be appreciated

guruguy, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  6. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    save as, optimized is all you need if you have photoshop.

If you already have a bunch of images pixresizer can do a whole directory full of them in a few seconds. Here is an article and a link to the free resizer. Not going to make it an active link since it is my site.

imagegenie.net/art/home/photos-quality-file-size-and-compression/

Colbyt, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  7. arwen54

arwen54 Active Member

Best Answers:
    To Optimize gif's you can save the gif using less colors. The maximum colors in a gif image is 256. You can reduce this significantly, but remember you are also reducing quality.

You also may try using .png image format instead of .gif for even more flexibility in the optimization process.

arwen54, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  8. Varsha Tengshe

Varsha Tengshe Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, i understood your requirement so please sent that gif large images. That I will help your for small sizes in gif file which is use to your website.
    thank you

Varsha Tengshe, Jan 23, 2008 IP