1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Slicing a layout...

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Triexa, Apr 4, 2008.

So I never really used slices but I have opened my eyes and seen how useful and time-saving they can be! The thing I can't quite figure out, is how do I exclude a section from a slice or something?

Say I have a layer with a gradient and then an overlay on it... How can I get these into a sliced image, but ignore the corner of a box that also overlays this section or a photo overlayed on it or something?

Triexa, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  2. adamx8

adamx8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What program are you using? I might be able to help but that would be if your answer is fireworks...I don't generally slice in Photoshop.

adamx8, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  3. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Kaitlyn,

I think you would probably have to turn off the layer of the part you want to exclude before you save the sliced files.

DaveyBoy, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  4. Triexa

Triexa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Using photoshop... I just don't see how its possible to selectively create slices. It seems slices are based off a flattened image, which to me seems QUITE limiting...

Triexa, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  5. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    I am quite experienced in slicing so if you can explain a bit more detailed I will try to help.

DaveyBoy, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  6. adamx8

adamx8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok DaveyBoy can help with this no doubt, I remember him from V7N and he knows what he is doing without a doubt. Howdy Davey!

adamx8, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  7. Triexa

Triexa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well basically is there any way to slice part of a design but have that slice attached to layer(s) so that it does not include anything else that might come into the slice's area...

Triexa, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  8. Triexa

Triexa Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a simple example:
    [​IMG]

I need to get the full gradient background because that red box may be a dyanmic width/height, so it can't be part of the bg image. However, when slicing it takes all layers into account and I can't "ignore" the red box/text when I want to get the full background image (which, of course, is fully there on the layer below).

Triexa, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  9. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you will just need to hide the layers of the parts you don't want on there.

If you don't know, you do that by clicking the 'eye' icon on the layers palette :

[​IMG]

This would turn off the box then you can slice just the backdrop.

DaveyBoy, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  10. Triexa

Triexa Active Member

Best Answers:
    But I will want to slice that overlay... for example, the 4 corners (say they were rounded..)

Do I have to hide top layer.. save slice (bg) ... show top layer, hide bg.. .save slices (4 corners) ?

Triexa, Apr 5, 2008 IP
  11. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah that is pretty much the only work-around I can see for that, photoshop does have it's limits for stuff like this. Sometimes just have to improvise I guess!

DaveyBoy, Apr 5, 2008 IP