1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Small community script recommendation

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by uCruiser, Mar 6, 2014.

I'll be developing a site for a homeowners association with 150 condominiums.
    I'm debating whether to find a ready made open source script or if it would be better to have a script written from scratch.

Here are the requirements:
    Main page: General information about the properties
    Contact page: Contact property manager, and others
    Photo gallery page: Property slideshow
    Maintenance page: Maintenance schedule (members only)
    Poll: the management want your opinion (members only)
    News page: Important news and information from management. Members notified by email. (members only)
    Board page: HOA board members presentation. View agendas and minutes uploaded by management (members only)
    Mini forum pages: let the members speak

I think a script such as phpfox will be a huge overkill and it's more aimed at the social part than I care for. Maybe there is something out there a little lighter? I am currently looking at Joomla and Drupal, but am not yet familiar enough with any of them to decide

The other option is to have it coded from scratch. I'm not sure how much coding time there would be involved and how expensive it would be.

Any suggestions?

uCruiser, Mar 6, 2014 IP
  2. kalseo

kalseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I personally prefer Joomla, you can find few paid extensions that will provide the functionality that you need. Drupal can also do that, but quite often extensions get discontinued, nor the future of Drupal development is clear.

kalseo, Mar 9, 2014 IP
  3. uCruiser

uCruiser Member

Best Answers:
    I decided to go with WP. I have always used WP as blog only, but after looking through all the plugins it was obvious that it can do so much more, and easily will cover my needs for this project.

uCruiser, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  4. kalseo

kalseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, it can be done with WordPress, though content construction can be very tough call with WP.

kalseo, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  5. uCruiser

uCruiser Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean with content construction?? Customizing and messing with the wp code?

uCruiser, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  6. uand.eye

uand.eye Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would use Wordpress with Buddypress plugins. They are free to use and will be fairly easy to set up for a small community. There are lots of tutorials online to help you get started (its really not that complicated!). If you do have any problems then you can always pay a freelancer to help.

uand.eye, Mar 10, 2014 IP