1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So many CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by earncef, Jan 12, 2006.

There are so many free CMS out there. What do you guys think do the programmers get by giving them from free when there is so much competition

earncef, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  2. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    experience

Shoemoney, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  3. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Kudos... :)

Lever, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. vanessa

vanessa Peon

Best Answers:
    I wrote an article about open source available on my site but here's the jest of what I learned about why people get involved.

Top Motivating Factors
    1.44.9% say it is intellectually stimulating
    2.41.3% want to improve their skills
    3.3.8% say it is a function of their work
    4.33.1% believe the code should be open and available to everyone
    5.28.5% want to give back to the community and feel obligated because they use the software

(The Boston Consulting Group/OSDN Hacker Survey release 0.73, July 21, 2003)

vanessa, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  5. alph

alph Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've made one before that started out for my own use, then you share it with a few people and it snowballs from there...into a project :)

alph, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  6. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some ways to make a living from open source CMS systems. I paid someone to set up my Geeklog site and make a nice design for it. I also paid someone to set up my traffic exchange scripts.

Many businesses like me need quality software but we don't have the knowledge to install it or customize it ourselves. So there are some opportunities.

ebusinesstutor, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  7. vanessa

vanessa Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Garland, agreed, on the different ways to benefit from OS and support services is a big one. It benefits not only the company providing support but I would say it benefits the OS project itself. My thought is you can gauge the success of an OS application by the number of third party vendors supporting and making moeny from the project along with the health of the community, i.e., is it active? etc.

One thing to remember is the OS CMS is only four/five years old depending on the project, so it is still in the infancy stages. Its an exciting time as projects grow and stabalize and there are many opportunities for projects and supporters to continue to improve and grow/evolve, and make money.

I know this doesn't sit well with the OS purist but if you want to keep it FREE then its a must for projects.

vanessa, Jan 20, 2006 IP