1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Media Advertising has been a real hit or miss for me.

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by irj, Jan 21, 2015.

Hi I am a new user and new business,

I have been trying to utilize Twitter and Primarily Facebook for my business. I have created 4 Facebook ads and have had varying results.

1) I created an ad that tried to capture clicks to my website. I put some information about the products I sell on the ad, and set the PPC budget to auto. I only ended up getting a few clicks and they were EXTREMELY expensive since the ad was served to thousands of users

2) I created another ad for clicks to my website. This time I put my prices right on the ad since I am very proud of them. I gained quite a few more clicks, but no sales resulted from the ad. My PPC price ended up being MUCH cheaper this time.

3) I decided to create my own meme and boost the post to gain more Facebook likes. I put a small budget of $7 on the ad and the post went viral. I had over 100 shares, thousands of likes, and about 100 new followers

4) I am not really a "memer" so I took a meme that was already out on the internet and boosted the post with $15 budget. I got a few hundered likes, several shares, and some new followers, but the results were quite a bit less than my 3rd ad.

I am posting this to both share my experience and perhaps gain some insight from some of the users on this forum.

Thanks,
    Joel

irj, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Personally, I've found that Facebook advertising can get a lot of traffic just because of the crazy number of people who use Facebook all the time, but it's more difficult turning those users into paying customers. It seems to me that their advertising is more useful if your goal is to get Facebook likes (which to me is just silly), but it's more difficult converting those users into customers I've found.

digitalpoint, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  3. irj

irj Active Member

Best Answers:
    My test results have found this to be true as well. I was very shocked by this. 97% of my inventory cost less than $10 and I have yet to get a single sale that I can attribute to facebook. I even tried running a free shipping (no minimum) promotion. You could literally buy a pack of plastic worms that cost $5 at Bass Pro Shops for $2.89 with free shipping.

That being said, I have had better luck with other advertising. Although, Facebook seems like a good way to get a captive audience. Although, If they aren't buying anything then what is the point?

irj, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly this... Personally I don't see a value from a business standpoint of having a ton of Likes or followers if you don't have products or services they are interested in purchasing. At the end of the day if you have 1,000,000 Likes, but none of them "like it enough" to buy anything from you, then who cares really? It's a business, not a popularity contest.

That being said, I've seen people successfully utilize their followers on Facebook to sell stuff. Like they will post discounts only available to their follower or whatever. It really just depends on if your followers are *actually* interested in what you are offering and not just blindly "liking" it.

If you want to give that business model a go, then then will stress less about clicks converting directly into sales because you will be more focused on growing the brand and hopefully the ones that are following the business are truly interested in it, and down the road can become paying customers.

digitalpoint, Jan 21, 2015 IP
  5. irj

irj Active Member

Best Answers:
    It just surprised me that I wasn't getting any sales on items that are between $3-6. You would think that kind of thing is an impulse buy.

irj, Jan 21, 2015 IP