1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social Media Marketing vs Standard SEO Link Building!! Which is better??

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by LindseyInteractive, Dec 28, 2008.

Hello Everyone,
    I am in the middle of starting to promote our companies web site and online business. We are a web development company, and me and my managers were wandering what everyone thought about marketing here.

Our main thing is we want to know if people feel that Social Media Marketing (stumbleupon, digg, twitter,stuff like this) or Standard SEO Link Building was better for marketing and in general which one brings better traffic.

Let us know what you think.

LindseyInteractive, Dec 28, 2008 IP
  2. TheAtHomeCouple

TheAtHomeCouple Peon

Best Answers:
    To be completely honest - I love the power of social bookmarking etc. as a form of getting quality links, and ranking as quick as possible.. but I still believe that traditional SEO and linkbuilding methods are ABSOLUTELY necessary from every angle...

Personally, I like to have a nice balance of both when trying to promote a new site... lots of bookmarking using services like SocialMarker.com as well as some good ol link buying on higher ranked, related sites...

I wish you guys the best of luck!

TheAtHomeCouple, Dec 29, 2008 IP
    SISMediaGroup likes this.
  3. nandalinnaung

nandalinnaung Peon

Best Answers:
    none is better, you do both.. and u get more traffic..

nandalinnaung, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  4. btucker

btucker Peon

Best Answers:
    btucker, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  5. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I would do both. There is nothing saying you cannot do one of the other. In the web development industry you are going to have a lot of SEO competition and probably would be better off to go with detailed long tail keywords and then concentrate more on social networking/bookmarking/media but by no means neglect SEO.

primeelite, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  6. LindseyInteractive

LindseyInteractive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you to everyone that has posted, I would also like to get more thoughts on it as well, right now got a nice even balance from what people have posted and what people have sent me via pm.

I just dont want to go into wasting time or money if not needed.

LindseyInteractive, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  7. topsearchresult

topsearchresult Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think your pages for website design will be too appealing to people in the "social media world". Users of social networks don't like seeing 100% commercial websites jammed down their throats. You would need informational content (advice articles, tutorial videos, etc.) that people would find interesting. Your blog is not operational in the signature you have listed which is where this content could go.

I would therefore recommend you use SEO and link building tactics to drive more traffic and clients. Have you thought about using Google Adwords to drive customers to your site. Might be expensive because of the competition for the keywords but you should check it out.

topsearchresult, Dec 29, 2008 IP
    SISMediaGroup likes this.
  8. LindseyInteractive

LindseyInteractive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you,

Thanks for the information, now we are a bit good with social media, i mean we have blogs that we do every day that we would use for social media, our blog sort of give people idea on different topics that we see from a presidents standpoint from web development and different topics.

Also, we have articles that are being wrote for social media, we wouldn't use just our pages for social media.

Thank you for the information, please let me know what you think of this.

LindseyInteractive, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  9. FosAvanke

FosAvanke Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information.

I think that both, Social media and SEO are good. They have their advantages

FosAvanke, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  10. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    SEO links of course

runnerunner, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  11. askme

askme Banned

Best Answers:
    A good balance of both should do the trick for you.

askme, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  12. geckoseo

geckoseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Both are good, you can do social media then you get more traffic, you can do quality link building then get PR.

geckoseo, Dec 29, 2008 IP
  13. mr.dp

mr.dp Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great question. Personally I would do like an 80/20 split. Social media marketing will bring you a good influx of traffic but in my opinion the traffic isn't all that great. Focus more on link building and SEO methodologies. I say this because the organic traffic will be targeted and should have much higher conversions. After all, if your doing this to promote your own development or IT company it is much better to rank well on the searches.

mr.dp, Oct 5, 2009 IP
  14. nurit

nurit Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

First of all its totally depend upon your site or blog topics,online ranking

competition and requirement of either just want to rank or just want to traffic.

If you need both then you have to give equal value to both activity as per SEO

rules.

nurit, Oct 6, 2009 IP
  15. julie1985

julie1985 Peon

Best Answers:
    A good balance of both will do it for you.

julie1985, Oct 22, 2009 IP