1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social media traffic on auto-pilot

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by EddieC, Mar 25, 2013.

Step 1

Register an account on Twitter & Tumblr.

Step 2

Register an account on https://ifttt.com, which is a service that allows you to set updates (called recipes) to various social media sites, blog platforms & more when a trigger is activated. For this method the trigger will be a new post on your site.

Step 3

Connect your Twitter & Tumblr accounts to IFTTT, then create two new recipes linking your site's RSS feed to each account. The Twitter recipe will allow you to add content at the end of the tweet whilst the Tumblr recipe has an option to add tags to the post, make sure to use relevant tags & add a hashtag at the end of your tweets.

Step 4

There is no step 4! Just following the first three steps will start to generate you a small volume of social media traffic with no further work required. However if you want to generate a decent amount of traffic from social sources there's more that can be done.

I've only listed Twitter and Tumblr in the initial method as these seem to be the only accounts that can generate traffic on auto-pilot as per the title. Just by using the right tags you will generate a small following with people finding you through search results, which doesn't seem to be the case on other social networks.

To get the most benefit out of these sites though you need to be active, posting updates without links, replying & retweeting etc as well as following people. Find the time to do this and you will see the clickthrough rate on your auto-posted links increases massively - as well as your account building a larger following. Other social networks don't seem to generate you any followers via the search function, so if you're looking for an auto-pilot solution don't bother with them!

If you do have the time to interact & follow others, you can also use IFTTT to post to Facebook, Delicious, Diigo and more. I personally don't have the time to keep up with all of them so I focus on Twitter & Tumblr - which I've had great success with - and to a lesser extent Facebook.

Social media traffic isn't the greatest - my pageviews per visitor is about 20% of the figure for Google traffic - but I can generate enough traffic to compensate for the lower quality, and when we ran a survey on my largest forum 25% of the members that answered said they found us via social media.

EddieC, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  2. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for letting me know about IFTTT, honestly I was not aware of this tool before, I have to check it with the process you have mentioned here and lets see if the result is really good.

One thing I have experienced is if you increase activities on social sites then it would generate more traffic, and traffic is targeted or not it depends on the quality which you post regularly.

MikeQ, Mar 27, 2013 IP