1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social networking software recomendations?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Chris Guthrie, Jul 7, 2009.

I'm looking to start a very niche specific social network and I'm looking for some recommendations on software to use.

I've heard of ning before, but wanted to see what people that have previous experience with these programs might have to say :)

Chris Guthrie, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  2. sandeepdude

sandeepdude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use buddypress now...
    its incomplete.but very flexible and easy to manage...

sandeepdude, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress Multi User - WordpressMU - is a powerful and flexible solution. If you want a preview, take a look at wordpress.com. That should give you an idea of what is possible.

~kev~, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  4. mrsohel_tex

mrsohel_tex Peon

Best Answers:
    If u want to develop a social network like facebook , My space etc, there are lots of scripts are available.Among them php fox and social engine is recommended.php Fox is like My Space its admin pannel is very strong.Social engine is also good and getting popular these days.

mrsohel_tex, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  5. Chris Guthrie

Chris Guthrie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any other suggestions on social networking software I can use to build a site on my own hosted platform?

Specifically it's video game related...

Chris Guthrie, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  6. GSchneider

GSchneider Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't recommend using software, hire someone on freelancer.com or Odesk.com (I use odesk all the time and get very high quality work out).

GSchneider, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  7. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know what you need and how big is your site, but you can learn Team Sugar article and see what Drupal can do for social networking

bnandika, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  8. sakto

sakto Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want some open source platform, Wordpress Multi User is the way to go. Or you can try ning.com, if you don't want the hassle of setting up a social network server yourself and yes it is free.

sakto, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  9. Masterofkeys

Masterofkeys Peon

Best Answers:
    I have read all the posts. Well, if you hire a freelancer, it'll take you min 5K just to develop a basic network scrip from scratch.

The best way to start fast is to use a ready-made software which more or less suits your needs. Check paid solutions as they have larger functionality then free.

I would advise PG Social Networking software as a start. get open source to be able to make minor adjustments for your special community.

Masterofkeys, Oct 2, 2009 IP