1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social networking software ...

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by [omega], May 16, 2008.

Hello,

I narrowed down my needs a little bit so I am starting a new thread (I hope that´s ok), in order to not mix two different discussions:

I wonder, whether you could give me a recommendation on a social networking software (free or paid doesn´t matter too much) which would match these criterias:

-) all the standard social networking stuff like friendship module, polls, blogs, and so on

-) a really good forum module included

-) template driven

-) multilanguage support (basically I only need german and english)

-) open source code (so we can do our own modules and change the code as needed), preferably php/mySQL based

-) on our own server, so we don´t loose the userbase in case we once switch (so things like ning.com, me.com and all that stuff doesn´t really fit)

-) goog structure concerning search engines

I had a look around and it seems there are quite a lot tools out there, but the thing is, we aren´t really experienced in the whole web 2.0 thingy... so I read about stuff like handshakes, phpfox, socialengine, peopleaggregator and so on... but I would be really interested in your experiences with ANY social networking software.... :)

Exspecially socialengine looks quite neat to me, but the I didn´t find many reviews to that e.g. compared to phpfox... I also once read about a tool in here called phpraven which sounded quite cool when being in development but I never found a real final version of it?

best regards, omega :)

[omega], May 16, 2008 IP
  2. cellubration

cellubration Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try Boonex, its open source, and if you go to modmysite.com they even offer an open source version that's stripped down with alot of fixes, I would stay away from their RAY SUITE its riddled with problems, but you can always add your own video options. Either way check out Boonex then talk to the guys at Modmysite, I used boonex with no problems for a month but dropped the project I was working on.

cellubration, May 16, 2008 IP
  3. [omega]

[omega] Guest

Best Answers:
    thx for your answer.... :)

[omega], May 18, 2008 IP
  4. [omega]

[omega] Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I chose phpfox for now... the reason was that it provides multilanguage files while the others don´t ... don´t wanna do all the translation on my own... ;)

[omega], May 18, 2008 IP
  5. gouthamlal

gouthamlal Peon

Best Answers:
    Php fox. dont know

gouthamlal, May 19, 2008 IP
  6. Citizen

Citizen Active Member

Best Answers:
    We've been very happy with both Dolphin and Phpfox.

Dolphin is better if you dont mind branding, and phpfox is the best if you can spend the $300.

I run modification sites for both of these:

DolphinElite.com
    Konsort.org

Citizen, May 19, 2008 IP
  7. markoi

markoi Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddypress is coming form wordpress

markoi, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  8. PilotGroup.Net

PilotGroup.Net Peon

Best Answers:
    Please also check our Social Networking Software http://social.pilotgroup.net. We have developed it to match niche and business social networking. Software has open source version and additional modules for site development possibilities. Varies features like clubs, events, classifieds, forums, blogs, friends lists would help your members communicate and build in communities. There's also a possibility to profit with extra services for your site users. User account feature is implemented. Understandable code, manuals, free technical support.

Let us know if you're interested.

PilotGroup.Net, Jul 22, 2008 IP